Fixed Facebook AppId required for opengraph meta tags?

Jake B.

I've just noticed that it looks like the facebook App ID is required to display the opengraph meta tags on your pages, which (at least from what I know about it) is a bit odd since these tags are used by twitter and many other sites to generate 'cards' of sorts when you post a link.

Relevant code:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.facebookAppId} OR {$xenOptions.facebookAdmins}">
    <meta property="og:site_name" content="{$xenOptions.boardTitle}" />
    <xen:if is="{$avatar}"><meta property="og:image" content="{$avatar}" /></xen:if>
    <meta property="og:image" content="{xen:helper fullurl, @ogLogoPath, 1}" />
    <meta property="og:type" content="{xen:if $ogType, $ogType, article}" />
    <meta property="og:url" content="{xen:raw $url}" />
    <meta property="og:title" content="{xen:raw $title}" />
    <xen:if is="{$description}"><meta property="og:description" content="{xen:raw $description}" /></xen:if>
    {xen:raw $ogExtraHtml}
    <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.facebookAppId}"><meta property="fb:app_id" content="{$xenOptions.facebookAppId}" /></xen:if>
    <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.facebookAdmins}"><meta property="fb:admins" content="{xen:helper implode, {$xenOptions.facebookAdmins}, ','}" /></xen:if>
</xen:if>

The only parts of this that actually requires facebook are:
Code:
    <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.facebookAppId}"><meta property="fb:app_id" content="{$xenOptions.facebookAppId}" /></xen:if>
    <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.facebookAdmins}"><meta property="fb:admins" content="{xen:helper implode, {$xenOptions.facebookAdmins}, ','}" /></xen:if>

Which has me kind of wondering ift his was intentional, and if so what the reason behind this would be :)

Last edited:
At one point, based on the OG debugger, I think the lack of an admins or app ID tag was an actual error. Now it appears to be a warning:
fb:admins and fb:app_id tags are missing. These tags are necessary for Facebook to render a News Feed story that generates a high click-through rate.
As such, I'll remove the wrapping if.

Top Bottom