1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest EXTRA.css in admin

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by simbolo, Apr 27, 2012.

1. simbolo

simbolo Well-Known Member

I like to do some minor styling to the admin and it would help to have an EXTRA.css in the admin templates like there is on the frontend for minor changes.

2. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Could you not use the same Extra.css and separate the two using something like this to keep things organized still. Just an idea!

3. simbolo

Considered that, but I like to keep it separate for cleanliness sake. Also just made an add-on to address it.

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Side note... One thing I've always wondered about XenForo is why the public and admin templating system is split into two different modules. Controllers, yes... but two unique templating systems seems like extra work to maintain when ultimately they do the exact same thing... and as a byproduct, doing stuff with admin templates is almost crippled compared to the public templates (for example you can't even search within admin templates).

Jeremy, Mike Creuzer and simbolo like this.
  5. simbolo

Not being able to search within templates has been frustrating. Ended up using webdav, and grep to do searching within the admin templates. A huge PITA.

6. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is deliberate - to stop us accidentally screwing up our Admin templates and effectively damaging our ability to manage our own board? (Well, for those of us who aren't inclined to customise our Admin area's anyway - yourself and a few others are obviously exempt from this ... :D )

7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

You could filter out the admin templates automatically if the user doesn't have access to the development tab in the admin CP or something... {shrug}

8. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

It was meant as more of a nod towards your abilities as a coder - you and a few others are far less likely to screw it up than me ... so it's probably a good idea I can't edit the templates by default. ;)