XF 1.4 'External Accounts'

OverHere

I've associated a Twitter account with my XenForo account via the 'External Accounts' feature but how does this feature actually work?

I mean after association of my Twitter account, I posted a test Thread & reply but it didn't make it's way to the Twitter account? Is this how 'External Links' is supposed to work?

I'm lost - please clarify.

Thanks.

That only works to login using your Twitter credentials into XenForo. What you ask cannot be done automatically without addons. In fact, there's an addon which does this. If you search a little bit I'm sure you can find it.

That only works to login using your Twitter credentials into XenForo. What you ask cannot be done automatically without addons. In fact, there's an addon which does this. If you search a little bit I'm sure you can find it.

Thanks, leaving aside any add-on to achieve this, what does 'External Links' actually do by itself? I mean assume I log in with my Twitter account, and that Twitter account is then associated with my XF account, will all my posts and threads then make it to my Twitter account?

What will 'External Accounts' actually do?

Thanks, leaving aside any add-on to achieve this, what does 'External Links' actually do by itself? I mean assume I log in with my Twitter account, and that Twitter account is then associated with my XF account, will all my posts and threads then make it to my Twitter account?

What will 'External Accounts' actually do?
No, only the ability to login to the forums using your Twitter credentials.

No, only the ability to login to the forums using your Twitter credentials.

Thanks, but I'm a bit lost on this... assume I come to XenForo for the very first time and I log in with Twitter. I then hit 'External Accounts' and hit 'Associate with Facebook'. It then asks you "Associate Existing Account" & "This is the password of the XenForo Community account that you wish to associate with."

But, I don't have any XenForo account password as I logged in via Twitter?

So, how would I associate my Facebook account now?

You can create a password in the account section (it will be done by emailing you, essentially like the password reset system).

Sorry to revive this really old thread, but my client just came across this edge case and would like a more elegant solution.
Is there a way to disable the password requirement if the user doesn't have one?
Or to force a new user to create a password?

It's difficult for me to really say how big it would be as it depends on factors as to how it may be approached.

I would note that I wouldn't recommend it if all possible. Associating an external account is roughly equivalent to changing the email address or password on the account in that it allows the associated account access. The password check ensure that you can't do this if you stumble upon a situation where you access the site with the user already logged in.

Top Bottom