XF 2.2 Everyone edit their own posts in a single topic.

MapleOne

I have a unique request..

I am making a topic where each poster is entering a list. Together the entire topic has a quick search and the listed items can instantly be found.

I need the owners of each post (not topic, the topic will belong to the admin) to be able to edit their post indefinitely. So basically the person that posts can add or subtract from their list by editing their post.

For security reasons I cannot open the topic to everyone because each person should only be allowed to edit their own list in their own post.

Does anyone have an idea how to make a single topic editable by each person that participates so they can edit their post indefinitely?

You can change the edit time in the acp but it will be for all their posts. Is that a big deal? Is there a reason they shouldn't edit posts?

Last edited:
I have edit times set for all posts and it works well. Yes I lock edit times because I had users go back and delete important things in the past. Disgruntled users will go and delete every one of their posts and that can have a negative effect on the forum.

I am talking about one TOPIC in one Forum where everyone has edit right forever.
I know I could designate a forum as such but I don't necessarily want another forum for a single topic.

So far the only way I can think of is this....

• Make a new forum.
  • Set the permission so only the admin can open a topic.
  • Set edit for everyone that posts (all user groups)
  • Set the edit permission for the longest allowable time.
  • Admin opens the topic.
  • Set the forum as a subforum of another forum.
  • Move the sub forum to the top of the other forum.

Now I have one topic that can be edited by everyone who posts..... phew.. 😱

Unless there is an addon I am not aware of (and I looked) then this is the only way I can think of to do the job.

Anyone else have input on this?

Yeah that's an old school admin fear,
I imposed edit limits because it happened. A poster notorious for dropping bombshells and then trying to run away from what they posted put out a doozy. When I and others called them on it, they edited to remove all the text. Fortunately, one of the responders had hit Reply, preserving the original text. So, no, it is not an "old school admin fear", it's a justifiable measure to deal with certain obnoxious personalities who try to run away from their posts rather than take responsibility for what they wrote.

I know it happens, the fear is that this older content is so valuable to the site that it must be protected even from the person that posted it.

However we should help solve this issue at hand, so I digress.

EDIT: In your case you can just make sure edit history is on starting from post creation.

Last edited:
I am making a topic where each poster is entering a list. Together the entire topic has a quick search and the listed items can instantly be found.

I need the owners of each post (not topic, the topic will belong to the admin) to be able to edit their post indefinitely. So basically the person that posts can add or subtract from their list by editing their post.
By specific topic, I don't think you can with the default XF script. You would probably have to have it extended via an add-on.
You CAN do this for a node... by simply using customized node permissions.

Top Bottom