EU PECR rules on getting permission to use cookies - how can XF help make me compliant?

That add-on does not make your site compliant, it simply implements the civicuk.com popup, which I'm pretty sure it was created only to boost their ranks in Google as it does absolutely nothing related to UK cookie law.
The pop up actually does everything related to UK cookie law.

In its most complete form it prevents all cookies until explicit permission is granted. In its nearly complete form it allows cookies but can allow a visitor to opt out. In this particular form, the webmaster gets implied consent from a visitor which, providing the privacy policy is clear about exactly what cookies are being used, is compliant according to the ICO's current guidance.

This addon does infact make you compliant under informed consent and meets the informed consent requirements. That said, I do prefer the heart internet version over the civic one.
I thought that you have to offer the choice to users, for example if they want to disable any ads related cookies?
That is the hole idea of cookie law, UK enforce it by letting the users choose what cookies are installed. You can see it live on several large sites, like British Telecom for example. Let me know please.
In its most complete form it prevents all cookies until explicit permission is granted. In its nearly complete form it allows cookies but can allow a visitor to opt out. In this particular form, the webmaster gets implied consent from a visitor which, providing the privacy policy is clear about exactly what cookies are being used, is compliant according to the ICO's current guidance.
Interesting... I did not see an option where I can disable cookies, please let me know where is it located? Thank you.

I thought that you have to offer the choice to users, for example if they want to disable any ads related cookies?
That is the hole idea of cookie law, UK enforce it by letting the users choose what cookies are installed. You can see it live on several large sites, like British Telecom for example. Let me know please.

Interesting... I did not see an option where I can disable cookies, please let me know where is it located? Thank you.

With the revised rules implied consent is acceptable for most sites.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/news/blog/201...idance-e-privacy-directive-eu-cookie-law.aspx

My implementation doesn't include this. Again, my add-on is implied consent only.

For the widget to disable cookies it needs configuring with callbacks etc. Some details here: http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/deployment#callbacks

Also, it's worth having a look at http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/cookie_configuration_v5

This shows the three different modes of the widget. My implementation is Information Only.

I'm not professing this to be the best solution to the problem. It is a solution, and apparently a "sufficient" one, but I am still looking forward to Mike and Kier implementing something more solid and baked in to XenForo.

You will find a lot of sites are simply saying accept our cookies or don't use our site. Simple as. and the ICO seem happy with that as long as users can see what cookies are being set.

You will find a lot of sites are simply saying accept our cookies or don't use our site. Simple as. and the ICO seem happy with that as long as users can see what cookies are being set.
Does civicuk shows you the cookies? Pretty sure they don't but I might be wrong. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm not following this as being a xenforo problem....this seems like a problem for folks with ads on their forums.

maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not following this as being a xenforo problem....this seems like a problem for folks with ads on their forums.

maybe I'm missing something.

No cookie law does not cover all the rules even headers etc falls under the new EU rules, every way to track appearently fals under the new law.

The add-on Yorick made is of no use for people outside the UK, implied concent is only under UK law.

Just for clarity. My add on is useful for any site, but the widget is only shown to your visitors from the UK.

Interesting approach; especially as you don't need anything "extra" to do it (no offence to your add-on Yorick).

Is this what Mike talked about - is this coming in the next update?

No offence taken :)

My solution is just "a solution", rather than "the best solution".

It will all be down to personal preference at the end of the day. As this appears just to use the default Notices feature (unless there's some new template conditional) this will show the prompt to everyone and apparently only registered users.

For my site, I don't find that suitable as it doesn't target only the relevant people and doesn't provide the warning to currently registered users as well - who also need to be aware more clearly of the use of cookies.

But a lot of this is personal preference, as I say :)

Well I got the notice on first page load (presumably because there was no guest cookie set) but it disappeared after I'd visited the linked cookie page - so I'm assuming the notices have been tweaked to allow conditionals for cookies? (because I was still a 'guest' on the subsequent page loads but I no longer see the cookie notice).

Ah well that's quite cool.

I like that solution as it's more integrated into the XenForo experience then. It's a bit more "XenForo" :D

Well I got the notice on first page load (presumably because there was no guest cookie set) but it disappeared after I'd visited the linked cookie page - so I'm assuming the notices have been tweaked to allow conditionals for cookies? (because I was still a 'guest' on the subsequent page loads but I no longer see the cookie notice).
Yeah, noticed that as well, that's pretty nice how they have done it. Hope it's in the 1.2 release.

Until then, I've just copied their cookie page, and added the same notice to be displayed to guests.

It will be part of 1.1.3 and there's an option to enable it (it's disabled by default). It's not actually a notice -- it's done like the board closed message. It is only shown if you have no session or "remember me" cookie as it uses the "implied consent" approach so it's only shown once. (If you have cookies, it's because you've given consent or are going to remove them.)

Top Bottom