Eshop scripts comparison

Dakis

I'm looking into opening my first eshop, and it seems the 4 more popular open source scripts are:

1. WooCommerce
2. Magento
3. OpenCart
4. PrestaShop

Has anyone worked with any of the above? I know my way around wordpress, but I'm afraid woocommerce may not be as powerful as the other ones that are quite established.

All of these seem to have tons of features, dozens of plugins to extend their functionality, and hundreds of themes that show how well they can be designed.

I am interested in the blog/content aspect of the platform as well, as my eshop will have content daily, to attract customers.

Also, by any chance anyone using these integrated with xenforo?

1 and 3 you should just throw out imho.

2) The biggest, most developped and most easily supported. That is, if you can get your head around just how big Magento is. The downsides are it requires a LOT of server resources for even a basic shop if you dont optimise the hell out of it and the admin panel can be very advanced for non-it people. If a client has a budget for magento, I use it.

4) Is one of those, i'll use it if I have to, its neither here nor there, nothing makes it stand out as good or bad.

Take a look at Spree, its a ROR based store, and, so far I like what I see with it. Quick, lightweight, easy for the end users... the downside well, its based on ruby...

I've tried all 4 in the list, and stuck with OC as I've become familiar with it (and suits my needs perfectly for a small store). My only issue is Daniel (the author), as even his moderator team on the support forum don't like they way he releases updates for it.

Oh yeah, he's very arrogant. That's one of the reasons why I put that he was the only issue I had with the software. I don't do any processing, it's all handed off to PayPal.

He did fix the security issues, but the arrogance he had surrounding it really made him look like a tool.

Thanks for the responses fellows, keep them coming - I've set up all 4 of them on my server to try out.

I'm looking into opening my first eshop, and it seems the 4 more popular open source scripts are:

1. WooCommerce
2. Magento
3. OpenCart
4. PrestaShop

Has anyone worked with any of the above? I know my way around wordpress, but I'm afraid woocommerce may not be as powerful as the other ones that are quite established.

All of these seem to have tons of features, dozens of plugins to extend their functionality, and hundreds of themes that show how well they can be designed.

I am interested in the blog/content aspect of the platform as well, as my eshop will have content daily, to attract customers.

Also, by any chance anyone using these integrated with xenforo?

WooCommerce is super easy, so if you are lost go with that. I use it without issue.

Yeah it's the easiest of all, but I don't think I will have serious issues learning any of the others. At this point I'm trying to identify strong and weak points for every script.

Yeah it's the easiest of all, but I don't think I will have serious issues learning any of the others. At this point I'm trying to identify strong and weak points for every script.
Ya my issue was learning so I found WooCommerce to help. Honestly though, Magento is SUPER complicated. I went with that on round one and had to step back a bit.

X-Cart is another solution however it is paid ($99 for the most basic, and $495 for the next level up). This is something I'm looking at for my site, however only if I can get a login bridge for it. It is also responsive, and the business option covers pretty much every feature most people would need.

Magento is something else I looked at, however it's extremely bloated and very difficult to work with depending on your needs. As mentioned it also is a resource hog and the template system is frustrating as hell.

Top Bottom