XF 1.4 errors with smtp e-mail, please help!

zoldos

I've tried Gmail and Hotmail with a standard SMTP settings and both timeout and produce the below error when I try to send an e-mail from my forum. Please help!!

Code:
Error Info
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Email to xxxx@gmail.com failed: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Generated By: Vex, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/x/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('tcp://smtp-mail...')
#1 /home/x/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /home/x/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home/x/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home/x/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(1145): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home/x/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(1050): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->_sendEmail(Array, Array, Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#6 /home/x/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->actionEmailSend()
#7 /home/x/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/x/public_html/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(57) "http://www.xxxx.net/admin.php?users/email-send"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["users/email-send"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(9) {
["criteria"] => string(88) "{"receive_admin_email":"1","username":"Savina","user_state":["valid"],"is_banned":["0"]}"
["total"] => string(1) "1"
["from_name"] => string(3) "Vex"
["from_email"] => string(16) "xxx@gmail.com"
["email_title"] => string(3) "hey"
["email_format"] => string(4) "text"
["email_body"] => string(7) "hey you"
["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
}
}

It could be a networking issue between your server and mail provider.
The error is coming from the attempt to make the network connection, so it's not something XF has any control over.

We typically recommend using the PHP method for email, unless you have a specific reason for using SMTP.
In which case you will need to check and change your mail settings.

But why would both completely different settings/attempts produce the same error? My web host has flagged me twice about sending "spam" and are suggesting I try SMTP. :(

Top Bottom