XF 2.1 Error upgrading from control panel

diego222

Hi

When I try to upgrade to 2.1.1 from control panel instead of uploading files and then upgrading, I get the following error:

404 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /foro/install/oc-upgrader.php on this server.

Then I decide upgrade the normal way and everything perfect

Last edited:
I get the same thing, and do the same thing. I suspect it's because the files are owned by the user account, and the web server is running as a different user. I've not bothered looking further into it.

While one click upgrades would be nice, manually upgrading only takes me a couple of minutes so it's no big deal.

Worth noting that if this was XF preventing you from accessing it, we'd display a friendly message explaining why, rather than just blocking it. In fact, I don't think any of our code in this area responds with a 403 error...

Actually while reading the OP again... does it say 404 Forbidden or 403 Forbidden? Either way, we don't send a 404 either ;)

With the way it is presenting itself, it's actually more likely something on the server side which is blocking it - mod_security is a common culprit for unexplained 403 errors.

My comments there really only apply to unexpected 403 errors such as the one mentioned in the OP.

If the error is "The files are not writable" then simply the files are not writable.

Sorry I just realised you are the OP.

In your case, it's nothing to do with the files. You have something blocking the upgrader script from loading. It says Forbidden but is giving a 404 status code. They sort of contradict each other. 404 is when a file cannot be found. 403 is when access to something is forbidden. So that's certainly weird to start with. But, that error is not coming from XF so it's going to be mod_security or something similar.

For everyone else, if it says "the files are not writable" then file permissions/ownership need to be adjusted first.

Sorry I just realised you are the OP.

In your case, it's nothing to do with the files. You have something blocking the upgrader script from loading. It says Forbidden but is giving a 404 status code. They sort of contradict each other. 404 is when a file cannot be found. 403 is when access to something is forbidden. So that's certainly weird to start with. But, that error is not coming from XF so it's going to be mod_security or something similar.

For everyone else, if it says "the files are not writable" then file permissions/ownership need to be adjusted first.

can you give me more details about file permissions/ownership changes?
which files, folder?
a particular action I should ask to my hosting?

anyway, after upgraded to xf2.1
I always see this message
"There are manual rebuild jobs awaiting completion."

I clicked many times, but never complete the rebuild process

Top Bottom