XF 2.0 Error message after upgrading to XenForo 2.0.10

picom

One or more add-ons currently have actions pending and may be in an inconsistent state. Because of this, some errors may be suppressed and unexpected behavior may occur. If this does not change shortly, please contact the add-on author for guidance.

The above message has appeared after upgrading to XenForo 2.0.10 when it was released. I have given it a few days but nothing has changed, I have disabled all plugins and yet the message still appears.

Everything seems to work as it should but this message won't disappear!

This is a newly exposed message, but it is not a new issue. You have an add-on that is partially disabled due to a pending action (upgrade, etc). You should see an add-on in the list with the "action pending" badge. Hovering that may also tell you the last action that was completed with it.

You should contact the add-on author as this add-on is very likely in an inconsistent state. You should tell them the last action you took with it and what happened during that (notably any errors or unexpected behavior). If available, the last completed action will help them.

Hard to tell which addon(s) is causing that to show as it is a pretty generic notice. Some sites have 90+ addons installed. :unsure:

Maybe check your server error logs.

There should be an add-on listed with the badge I mentioned:

1537440514155.webp

That's the one causing the issue. The last action you took with it wasn't completed (you likely got an error message, or perhaps you just closed the browser window?).

Hard to tell which addon(s) is causing that to show as it is a pretty generic notice. Some sites have 90+ addons installed. :unsure:

Maybe check your server error logs.
No errors are reported.

It's strange because all my add-ons work fine, even disabling them won't make this message go away.

There should be an add-on listed with the badge I mentioned:

View attachment 183874

That's the one causing the issue. The last action you took with it wasn't completed (you likely got an error message, or perhaps you just closed the browser window?).

No badges showing pending,

The message appears like this,

Screenshot (37).webp

When I click Add-ons, they all show ok, no pending message, as below.

Screenshot (38).webp

Hi Mike, I did that and this appeared,

Screenshot (39).webp

It seems to be showing a plugin that I deleted, Snog Flags. I couldn't get the add-on to work so I deleted it. Looks like this is still in my database.

Should I go ahead and press the delete option to solve my problem?

What do you mean by you "deleted" it? Did you delete the files? If it's in the DB, something has happened with it, so it almost certainly needs to be uninstalled within XenForo. To do that, the files would need to be restored.

Presumably you received an error at some point (perhaps during installation?). You would ideally contact the author for guidance as there could be changes to the DB that have been made.

What do you mean by you "deleted" it? Did you delete the files? If it's in the DB, something has happened with it, so it almost certainly needs to be uninstalled within XenForo. To do that, the files would need to be restored.

Presumably, you received an error at some point (perhaps during installation?). You would ideally contact the author for guidance as there could be changes to the DB that have been made.
The Addon wouldn't install, it kept coming up with

Error downloading and extracting GeoLite2 database.
Maxmind Error 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable

I contacted the plugin author but they couldn't understand why it wouldn't work.

The addon just sat in the Installable addons section, so I deleted the files to get rid of it.

I have just reinstalled it and as you said it shows Pending like you said,

Screenshot (41).webp

It just won't install, as soon as I click Install it goes back to the error,

Error downloading and extracting GeoLite2 database.
Maxmind Error 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable

The plugin author has no idea what's wrong.

At the very least, the add-on developer should at this point help you revert any changes that have been made to the database. There may be some queries it ran on its first attempt(s) which should be removed to prevent issues in the future. Once the database is in a consistent state, it should then be safe to just remove the xf_addon record and delete the files.

Obviously just getting it working would be beneficial, but otherwise the above is required to solve the problem.

The plugin author has no idea what's wrong.
What is wrong is MaxMind's GeoIP database is not present and/or cannot be obtained. If you are on shared hosting you can check and see if they will install it (very simple process). Odds are you have a firewall blocking outbound ports 443 and/or 80 unless the developer gets it via ftp, then port 21 outbound is blocked.

What is wrong is MaxMind's GeoIP database is not present and/or cannot be obtained. If you are on shared hosting you can check and see if they will install it (very simple process). Odds are you have a firewall blocking outbound ports 443 and/or 80 unless the developer gets it via ftp, then port 21 outbound is blocked.
Good point on the firewall blocking ports. That could very well be the problem he's having, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. ;)

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/country-flags-by-ip-address.141473/post-1283165

But, installing the database at the server level wouldn't help. The database is downloaded for the add-on's use and is updated by a cron task. If the cron fails, the the database would become badly outdated after some time.

And I'm using Guzzle that is part of XenForo to obtain the database, as is required by the XenForo Resouce standards (item 27)...
https://xenforo.com/community/help/resource-standards/

And the add-on has been updated so the inconsistent state can not happen any more.

Last edited:
That could very well be the problem he's having, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
It could be (with the 503 error) that he has made to many attempts in a certain time period. I know that obtaining the free MaxMind DB throttles the number of times you can receive/obtain it in a set period in the past. That's why I always set my VPS up to grab them once every 2 weeks in a CRON job. I don't know if that's still applicable or not. But the 503 error was being sent by MaxMind server itself so either their service was down or they are doing rate limiting based upon IP.

Top Bottom