XF 1.5 error 1 from storage engine, azure web app on linux + mySQL

craigG

trying to install xenForo 1.5.5.15a on an Azure Web App (using the one Azure shows in its pre-built list as Web App On Linux + MySQL).
initial step of installation went fine, it appeared to think the system configuration was acceptable ('Your configuration has been verified.', with a 'Begin Installation' button underneath).

I get the following error during installation:
Mysqli statement execute error : Got error 1 from storage engine

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 317
Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Install/Model/Install.php at line 260
XenForo_Install_Model_Install->createApplicationTables() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Install.php at line 216
XenForo_Install_Controller_Install->actionStep2() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 351
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/site/wwwroot/xen/install/index.php at line 18

Connecting to the mysql db with mysql workbench, I can see that it got these 101 tables created before it pooped out:
`xf_addon`,
`xf_admin`,
`xf_admin_log`,
`xf_admin_navigation`,
`xf_admin_permission`,
`xf_admin_permission_entry`,
`xf_admin_search_type`,
`xf_admin_template`,
`xf_admin_template_compiled`,
`xf_admin_template_include`,
`xf_admin_template_modification`,
`xf_admin_template_modification_log`,
`xf_admin_template_phrase`,
`xf_attachment`,
`xf_attachment_data`,
`xf_attachment_view`,
`xf_ban_email`,
`xf_bb_code`,
`xf_bb_code_media_site`,
`xf_bb_code_parse_cache`,
`xf_captcha_log`,
`xf_captcha_question`,
`xf_code_event`,
`xf_code_event_listener`,
`xf_content_spam_cache`,
`xf_content_type`,
`xf_content_type_field`,
`xf_conversation_master`,
`xf_conversation_message`,
`xf_conversation_recipient`,
`xf_conversation_user`,
`xf_cron_entry`,
`xf_data_registry`,
`xf_deferred`,
`xf_deletion_log`,
`xf_draft`,
`xf_edit_history`,
`xf_email_bounce_log`,
`xf_email_bounce_soft`,
`xf_email_template`,
`xf_email_template_compiled`,
`xf_email_template_modification`,
`xf_email_template_modification_log`,
`xf_email_template_phrase`,
`xf_error_log`,
`xf_feed`,
`xf_feed_log`,
`xf_flood_check`,
`xf_forum`,
`xf_forum_prefix`,
`xf_forum_read`,
`xf_forum_watch`,
`xf_help_page`,
`xf_image_proxy`,
`xf_image_proxy_referrer`,
`xf_import_log`,
`xf_ip`,
`xf_ip_match`,
`xf_language`,
`xf_liked_content`,
`xf_link_forum`,
`xf_link_proxy`,
`xf_link_proxy_referrer`,
`xf_login_attempt`,
`xf_mail_queue`,
`xf_moderation_queue`,
`xf_moderator`,
`xf_moderator_content`,
`xf_moderator_log`,
`xf_news_feed`,
`xf_node`,
`xf_node_type`,
`xf_notice`,
`xf_notice_dismissed`,
`xf_option`,
`xf_option_group`,
`xf_option_group_relation`,
`xf_page`,
`xf_permission`,
`xf_permission_cache_content`,
`xf_permission_combination`,
`xf_permission_combination_user_group`,
`xf_permission_entry`,
`xf_permission_entry_content`,
`xf_permission_group`,
`xf_permission_interface_group`,
`xf_phrase`,
`xf_phrase_compiled`,
`xf_phrase_map`,
`xf_poll`,
`xf_poll_response`,
`xf_poll_vote`,
`xf_post`,
`xf_profile_post`,
`xf_profile_post_comment`,
`xf_registration_spam_cache`,
`xf_report`,
`xf_report_comment`,
`xf_route_filter`,
`xf_route_prefix`,
`xf_search`

Anyone had similar experience with Azure + xenForo?

Hrm. I saw that sort of thing come up in web searching, but they all seem to refer to '-1' for the numerical part of the error, whereas the error I am getting has no minus sign.

Also, the folks who get that -1 error seem to be able to reproduce it manually, but I cannot. If I create a table manually, add rows, etc., I get no errors. Checking disk space with df -ah shows loads of space availabe essentially everywhere. The only way I get the error is through xenforo install attempts.
I tried destroying that web app and recreating a couple of times, but I didn't vary the parameters yet (I thought at first it might just be a corrupted deployment). Same results.

Seems unlikely that every single web app image of linux+mysql would be configured unuseably without there being a hue and cry on the internet; do you really think that corrupt thing is it? Note I'm not trying to be stubborn or ignoring your advice, I just don't have a support plan with Azure that would allow me to directly ask them (according to their message that popped up when I tried to put it a ticket), so I'm trying to explore other possibilities.

I'll try some more with some parameters different, see if that makes any difference. For instance, I've been setting it with PHP 5.6 stack, so maybe I should try PHP 7 this time. We'll see.

No, it doesn't output any logs at this point. However, there's an Azure blog post about this:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/az...e-with-error-got-error-1-from-storage-engine/

Essentially, Azure doesn't support MyISAM at all, which is a standard engine type in MySQL. We don't use this for much, though we do use it for a couple things out of the box. Changing this would likely require some code changes (at least to the installer), but possibly elsewhere. Unfortunately this isn't really something we could officially support.

Ah, I see. So, MySQL as provided by Azure is not a usable fit, then.

Am I correct in assuming that successful XenForo installations on/in Azure most likely then fall into 1 of 2 camps?

1) web app using some other MySQL provider (clearDB, maybe?)
2) virtual machine, so the dev can then roll their own setup, including MariaDB or whatever MySQL variant works for them

Does that look right? Anybody reading know of any major gotcha's awaiting me on either of those two paths?

To be honest, I'm not actively aware of any of our customers using Azure, though it's certainly possible that there are ones I'm not aware of. Therefore, it's hard to talk about any specifics with their environment. Most of our customers would likely fall into the VPS category (or smaller), so #2 would probably be closest and if Azure functions at least similarly to a VPS/bare metal server, then I can't imagine there would be any major/fundamental gotchas with that.

Top Bottom