XF 2.0 Entity returns decimal as string

Jake B.

I have a decimal(20,2) MySQL column called 'goal' and have this registered in my Entity as a FLOAT:

PHP:
'goal' => [
    'type' => self::FLOAT,
    'default' => 0,
],

However, when I try to use $campaign.goal somewhere it behaves as a string instead of a float. I don't think I did something wrong, but that's entirely possible as well

Yeah it's not what we'd expect to happen. The code in the ValueFormatter should cast this to be a float in all cases, even avoiding cases where it could instead be cast to an integer.

So I don't know if this is down to how the value is being used, or what the specific issue is?

I'm just doing an \XF::dump on $campaign->goal and it's showing up as a string. I'm trying to use
PHP:
if (!$campaign->goal) {
     return false;
}

somewhere as well, and that isn't working because PHP doesn't handle "0.00" as false, but if I do

PHP:
    if (!(float) $this->goal) {
        return false;
    }

So something odd is definitely going on, I don't have any getters that would be overwriting the output, and if I do {{ dump($campaign) }} {{ dump($campaign.goal) }} it shows the following:

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 3.33.09 PM.webp

So it's almost certainly handling all of my float columns as strings for one reason or another

These are stored in the database as decimal, not float. But I don't think that should make a difference here

Generally speaking, value formatters aren't used for simple scalar types.

The thing is, float and MySQL's decimal aren't the same thing. Decimal is a fixed format that avoids the imprecision issues of floats and doubles. PHP doesn't have any fixed decimal formats so a string is the only way to truly ensure that the value isn't corrupted.

Generally speaking, value formatters aren't used for simple scalar types.

The thing is, float and MySQL's decimal aren't the same thing. Decimal is a fixed format that avoids the imprecision issues of floats and doubles. PHP doesn't have any fixed decimal formats so a string is the only way to truly ensure that the value isn't corrupted.

I guess I'll just convert it to use floats, just not really not a fan of how they behave when dealing with currencies

Top Bottom