Implemented Ensure compliance as a Progressive Web App

Mouth

Ref: https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/

Progressive Web Apps

A new way to deliver amazing user experiences on the web.

PWA CHECKLIST

Progressive Web Apps are user experiences that have the reach of the web, and are:
  • Reliable - Load instantly and never show the downasaur, even in uncertain network conditions.
  • Fast - Respond quickly to user interactions with silky smooth animations and no janky scrolling.
  • Engaging - Feel like a natural app on the device, with an immersive user experience.
This new level of quality allows Progressive Web Apps to earn a place on the user's home screen.

Upvote 40
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I do not know what goes into making a PWA but I do know that in 7 years of operating a website that gets several hundred thousand pageviews a day, not a single user has requested it. My users want an app that they can download from the app store or google play. The responsiveness in XF is too good for anything else.

I do not know what goes into making a PWA but I do know that in 7 years of operating a website that gets several hundred thousand pageviews a day, not a single user has requested it. My users want an app that they can download from the app store or google play. The responsiveness in XF is too good for anything else.
Among other benefits making your site PWA complaint would allow for easily adding your sites icon to the mobile device mimicking how some sites have prompts for their app installs. 😉 From the end users perspective it'll look & act as an app would.

Among other benefits making your site PWA complaint would allow for easily adding your sites icon to the mobile device mimicking how some sites have prompts for their app installs. 😉 From the end users perspective it'll look & act as an app would.

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/app-install-banners/

Except it doesn't, the website is still the same website. A true app would bring additional features such as push notifications or replying to PM's in a text. Once users realize that it is essentially a bookmark they are going to start viewing the website in Safari. On my iPhone, I have apps for all the major sites I visit and outside of Reddit, I do not use any of those apps because the website is just as good.

I go back to request and I have not received any AMP or PWA request in 7 years.

I go back to request and I have not received any AMP or PWA request in 7 years.
And you never will as PWA is an admin thing, your users just get prompted like any other site offering an app.
On my iPhone, I have apps for all the major sites I visit and outside of Reddit, I do not use any of those apps because the website is just as good.
You realize of course that is the whole point of getting a site PWA compliant? 🤔

And you never will as PWA is an admin thing, your users just get prompted like any other site offering an app.

You realize of course that is the whole point of getting a site PWA compliant? 🤔

Except when they accept the prompt they realize it isn't an app. My users do not want an app for the sake of it looking like an app.

I visit the websites in Safari like I do any other website, including my own. The usability of my site is just as good as any of the major sites. Reddit's site seems to purposely suck on mobile, as they really want you using their app.

It really goes back to value and I can't put a value on something that not a single user has asked for. It just not close the gap enough between a website and an app.

Mobile Suite turned forums into PWAs, and it did increase traffic by putting forums on the home screen. XF2 is a lot more mobile friendly as well, so you don't need an app skin per-se.

That said, it was missing offline mode, and a bonus of the recently added API is that it's a lot more doable now, at least in the scope of basic content types (forums, threads, posts).

Again, your users will never be the ones asking for it.
It really goes back to value and I can't put a value on something that not a single user has asked for.
Did your users have to explicitly ask for you to install an SSL cert? Did they have to ask for you to upgrade XF to get any new features? Did they have to ask for any server configurations to help the site run faster?

But, either way, it's interesting that back in October in this thread you were curious about it and now you see no value in it. What were your findings into PWA that no only convinced you that you don't want it but are arguing in a 'suggestion' thread against those who do see the benefits it brings?

Again, your users will never be the ones asking for it.

Did your users have to explicitly ask for you to install an SSL cert? Did they have to ask for you to upgrade XF to get any new features? Did they have to ask for any server configurations to help the site run faster?

But, either way, it's interesting that back in October in this thread you were curious about it and now you see no value in it. What were your findings into PWA that no only convinced you that you don't want it but are arguing in a 'suggestion' thread against those who do see the benefits it brings?

My forum gets really heavy traffic during certain days so yes they asked for a "faster server". Instead of spending more money I worked on optimizing the server, which solved the complaint. None of my users have ever asked about SSL, though I do use it.

About four years ago I tried to move one of my boards to XF1 from VB4 and the users complained and I had to revert back. To this day that board does not want to leave VB4. Another one of my boards I was able to convert to XF2 though I received tons of complaints about no longer supporting tapatalk. Even my business partner did not want to convert to XF2 but I was able to convince him that it would be more profitable.

You are getting my comments confused. I am not saying that I wouldn't be interested in PWA, I am saying my users would not be and it would unlikely make me any more money. Value has to be measured and no one is asking for it. Even on a board of developers and webmasters, it appears that there is little interest.

My point is this: everyone needs an app. But as long as you use add-ons you can simply forget about that. You cannot have a generic XF App that also works for your specific set of add-ons. The project scope of such app would be insane.

Making Xenforo a Progressive Web App resolves that. Then addons can simply be made for that and the PWA can be wrapped into an App with some cherries on top. It's just one more piece of the puzzle just like API and Push are.

This seems to be one of those suggestions that most of us need, but few realize it.

https://pwa.rocks

Edit: That doesn't even mention the sites that have an "app" that simply wraps the site.

None of those are major websites and some appear to have been designed for the sole purpose of showcasing the technology.

Some examples of major websites are:

Google
Facebook
Amazon
Yahoo
ESPN
Reddit
CNN
FoxNews
NYTimes

Also of the handful of examples, none were prompting me to save an icon. I understand that they are using the technology but they do not appear to be trying to pass it off as a traditional app.

Are there any major websites using the technology?
Twitter Mobile
Washington Post
Flipboard
Alibaba
Fandango
Flipkart
Forbes
Ola
Lancôme
BookMyShow
Payless ShoeSource
Snapdeal