As designed  Enlarged image is projected on top of initial version?

Grover

I am not sure if it's a bug or actually intended behaviour, but I didn't see this happening before (or my memory must fail me) when I enlarge a picture inside a posting:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/request-in-line-moderation-on-search-results-page.11380/

If I click this image in the OP it seems the enlarged version is displayed upon the initially displayed version? Because you still see a bit of the smaller sized version at the left of the enlarged version, but this may be in fact intended behaviour?

That does look like the intended default behavior and as far as I can remember that's how it has looked since well..I can't remember. :)

I was thinking myself as far as this goes that it would be solid to have a 50% opaque white overlay above the page container but below the expanded full size image. I really like the way it is right now and I think throwing an overlay in between the two or even using jquery tools expose would look great here myself.

Yes, that's the intended behaviour. If we expanded the actual image you'd have all sorts of horrible unpredictable breakage of the surrounding layout.

That does look like the intended default behavior and as far as I can remember that's how it has looked since well..I can't remember. :)

I was thinking myself as far as this goes that it would be solid to have a 50% opaque white overlay above the page container but below the expanded full size image. I really like the way it is right now and I think throwing an overlay in between the two or even using jquery tools expose would look great here myself.
Using expose / mask is a good idea, I'll look into that after 1.0.0.

Using expose / mask is a good idea, I'll look into that after 1.0.0.
Again this is why you are the man Kier I didn't even have time to finish checking my alerts and got another :-) ....whenever this get's implemented is AWESOME! It's great to know it's a consideration. Suhhhweet.

Hmmm, that will probably make my Pages less useful as it will make the text hard to read with the image expanded.
Well it is possible to make admin options for it I would assume...like changes made in the kitchen sink style or the default . That particular example I showed was actually an image over an image but im sure a flat color at 25 or 50% opacity would be enough to bring focus to the front and read through it if you needed to. Curious though brogan...what text would need to be read while the image is expanded. I ask as I just figured reading sequentially down the page getting to image ..expand ...contract continue reading would be common for most postings. Is this something unique to your site ( course layout images, stats images , etc) that would need to be viewable in expanded size while reading? I'm just trying to get all the constituents before I brainstorm..

http://flowplayer.org/tools/toolbox/expose.html white example usage on a form rather than an image.

Curious though brogan...what text would need to be read while the image is expanded.
Here's an example :)
http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/pages/bahrain-international-circuit/

The image will be moved above the video once Chrome fixes the wmode bug again
rolleyes.png

Hmmm, that will probably make my Pages less useful as it will make the text hard to read with the image expanded.
Shouldn't be too much of an issue to provide an option to allow it to be disabled, but wouldn't the text be covered by the expanded image anyway?

As the image expands to the right then fortunately it works well in my case, as I've used it in the Pages.
It's intended to give people a larger view of the circuit map as they read the write up.

Granted not many people will probably have set-ups such as this.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue to provide an option to allow it to be disabled, but wouldn't the text be covered by the expanded image anyway?

Brainstorm: Would it be possible to apply an overlay to the smaller image ( just the area the original image is posted. as the larger one expands or am I offbase in thinking this is possible. This would allow it to be used in many applications. Brogans sidebar usage would not be effected negatively, images in post would be muted kind of as larger ones expand over them.

I also thought of the alternative of expanded images having a glowing effect for 50 pixels around the outer edges of expanded images so no matter where they are or what they are overlaying it makes the edges of the image not interfere with the normal way people process 2-d vision..in answer to what grovers question was this would make the image behind as well as the actual page not interfere with image viewing at all. This would also as in brogans case not effect the text underneath the expanded layer.

I'm not actually sure what that would achieve - wouldn't an overlay around the original small image obscure all other content?

My apologies...

Here is what i was thinking
If the small image would get (lets call this frosted, think dirty glass.) an overlay only applying to the small image itself (the image size attribute would be the constraints for the overlay)...in a forum post, when the large image would expand over it, the frosted image will not interfere with the image at attention that is being displayed. Like turning the opacity of a lower layer in photoshop down so you know whats there but it wont interfere with your workings on in higher layers. If the reduced image itself is overlain it will not share the same exact hues and tones as the expanding images above it and one can more easily identify the defining edges on the image when viewing making it easier on the eyes. I was however trying to just picture it all in my head so I may have made a misjudgement.

My basic thoughts came down to this... images may have a need to be handled different...
- Large solid screen capture type of images are opaque 100% so their requirements are moot here.
- Transparent ones can mess with your eyes when they expand so they need an overlay in between so they don't blend with page elements.
-Exposing the image by muting the page is a problem for those wanting to be able to read while viewing expanded images

My only single solution to those thought strings is to overlay the expanding image matted to a white overlay which does not expand past the image itself , maybe even using a one px outline with radius to match one of the forms styling ( like the divider between posts) could tie this in nice for a single option (on or off for expanded image expose) action. Otherwise the needs of everyone will differ so greatly that this will occupy a lot of dev time for something that isn't broken and can be compromised with minimal changes as compared to a million acp options.

Sorry if I'm not as clear as I should be. I will start making some standalone jquery pages for examples to explain my logic better as words today seem to be failing me:) Should I give this a try?

Top Bottom