Enhanced Search newbie questions

Ivar

Hi all,

I run a forum with about 50.000 members and 400.000 posts and have been looking at the Enhanced Search plugin. A few newbie questions:

1) This only speeds up the backend, right? No new features or front end differences?

2) Does this plugin add an API or any new way of presenting search results in a different way?

3) What other advantages does this feature give me (except for speed)?

Thanks!
Ivar

• Speed, as you've mentioned
  • Support for indexing shorter words (MySQL will only index 4+ letter words by default, though this can be configured if you have root access)
  • Support for stemming to provide better results ("swimming", "swims" and "swim" all match for "swim)
  • Support for relevancy-based search ordering
  • Support for date-weighted relevancy-based search ordering if you prefer (relevancy is still considered but the recency of an item is also considered)
In general, this doesn't change the front end (beyond the relevance option). It doesn't give you an API to restyle search results.

• Speed, as you've mentioned
  • Support for indexing shorter words (MySQL will only index 4+ letter words by default, though this can be configured if you have root access)
  • Support for stemming to provide better results ("swimming", "swims" and "swim" all match for "swim)
  • Support for relevancy-based search ordering
  • Support for date-weighted relevancy-based search ordering if you prefer (relevancy is still considered but the recency of an item is also considered)
In general, this doesn't change the front end (beyond the relevance option). It doesn't give you an API to restyle search results.
Thanks!

Any idea if I can run this on a single VPS server? I have a 8GB ram server now..

You can run it on the same server as your other services (web, MySQL, etc) without a problem. Elasticsearch just needs to be installed on it. I'd say that most of our customers running Elasticsearch are using it on one server.

Top Bottom