• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Add-on Enhanced Alerts/Notifications

squirrly

I have users who want to get an email/alert every time a thread they are following is replied to, ala FB. We have a small budget for things like this, if someone is willing to develop it.

squirrly

No, they get one notification and then nothing until they visit the thread. I haven't seen anything about it changing in 1.4, although that would be awesome - we have 1.4 in test, to go live in about 7 days.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Currently this can only be done using a code edit. The files to change are:

library/XenForo/Model/ThreadWatch.php

Remove or comment out the following code:

PHP:
else if ($previousPost['post_date'] > $user['thread_read_date'])
{
    // user hasn't read the thread since the last alert, don't send another one
    continue;
}
That should continue generating alerts for new replies, even if they haven't read the thread.

squirrly

Sweet! Is there any chance you'd want to tackle this as an addon with a user set option so that users could pick which version they prefer - lots of notices, or only 1?

squirrly

Alternatively, if no one is willing, is it possible to implement this at a node level? I.e. force some nodes to always send an update and let the rest behave 'normally'?

Sweet! Is there any chance you'd want to tackle this as an addon with a user set option so that users could pick which version they prefer - lots of notices, or only 1?
I'll jump in with @squirrly with this one, also this is how VB3.8 worked I believe and users could choose from the following.

Instant (every time something is posted you get an email, whether you've checked previous email notifications or not)
Daily (you get a summary of updates from the entire day, whether you checked them or not during the day)
Weekly (you get a summary of updates from the entire week, whether you checked them or not during the day)