Browser issue  Emoticon incorrect URL in quote prior to post

Shamil

When you quote a message which contains an emoticon, the emoticon will not show up in RTE, as it has an incorrect URL.

Here's the URL it had when I quoted someone earlier:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ro/smilies/smile.png

Obviously, it won't work. However, upon posting the message, the URL is corrected.
================================================================​
Here's one for you to see what I mean. Quote this portion of the message.

:)

It's not quote, it's copy and paste. Clicking the reply button seemed fine.

Tested in FF and Chrome.

Looks like when copy and pasting, browser does not honor the full base href, and just what is inline plus the page you're on... That's interesting "problem" in the browser or operating system's clipboard management. I wonder why they decided to make it like that... A potential fix would be to use absolute URLs for the images, but that will take up a few more bytes and require the software to know exactly where it is installed to... I suppose that's not too hard to do :)

I have a strange problem copying and pasting with IE8, I always get the attached warning message when trying to copy and paste content, and my IE privacy and security settings are currently set to "medium". I can copy and paste the same content over on vbulletin.com, and not get the warning.

Would this be related to this copy and paste problem, or should it be reported as something else.

I'm hesitant to create a new bug report for it just because I don't use IE8 that often, and I assume it was something to do with my security settings, but it doesn't exhibit this behavior on any other site as far as I can tell.

Even if I add xenforo.com to my list of "trusted sites" (and which vbulletin.com isn't), I still get the warning message.

Attachments

• copy_and_paste_ie8_warning.webp
    copy_and_paste_ie8_warning.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 11
I have a strange problem copying and pasting with IE8, I always get the attached warning message when trying to copy and paste content, and my IE privacy and security settings are currently set to "medium". I can copy and paste the same content over on vbulletin.com, and not get the warning.

Would this be related to this copy and paste problem, or should it be reported as something else.

I'm hesitant to create a new bug report for it just because I don't use IE8 that often, and I assume it was something to do with my security settings, but it doesn't exhibit this behavior on any other site as far as I can tell.

Even if I add xenforo.com to my list of "trusted sites" (and which vbulletin.com isn't), I still get the warning message.

This is a security feature.

I'm not sure if this is fixable. It appears to be a browser bug with how it handles <base> tags.

There's a base tag in the document and in the editor's iframe; they point to the same value. IE handles this fine, while Opera didn't seem to copy the image anyway. Chrome seems to convert the URL to an absolute URL, but it doesn't respect the base tag (so you end up with threads/blah.123 in the URL). FF converts it to a relative URL, but ignoring the base tag (so ../../styles/...).

If I take out the base tag from the editor, then I get slightly different behaviors, but it also breaks inserting smilies normally.

Given that this works on quoting, I think this is an issue that the browsers themselves have with copy and paste.

Surely it's not very hard to fix? Just hook the paste event in TinyMCE and process local image URLs depending on each browsers' quirks with the base tag.

Top Bottom