XF 2.2 emojis tone1, tone2, tone3, etc...

Nicolas FR

Hello,

There is something i don't understand : i'm translating all emojis and i notice there is different tones for man and woman but i can't find them when i want to use them in a message, all emojis are yellow. How to activate the differents tones ?

Thanks.

Solution
The Unicode standard supports skin tone modifiers and other modifiers for gender and hair colours.

Your phone keyboard likely allows you to specify your preferred skin tone, gender, and hair colour either generally or on a per emoji basis, or sometimes it just lists all variants.

In many areas, particularly posts, we convert the default native emoji character into an image. We also provide some alt/title text which is why phrases for those.

As for our emoji picker and autocomplete we haven’t yet provided a way to pick anything other than the default variant. This was partly due to time constraints when we first developed the feature and partly due to not really having an ideal way to present a UI to select skin tone and other...
You can submit a toned version but you have to use the native picker on the keyboard for whatever OS you're using I believe, I don't think they're in the XF smiley selection box.

Ok thanks for your insight, but then why are there all the versions in the sentences? If the phrases for each emoji for each tone are present in XF's native English language, there's a reason, right? There is something i don't understand...

For me, "smilies" are basically yellow cause they were created like this.
But emojis are representing family, person, men, women, child etc... so it's normal they are representative to all community colors.
In XF phrases there is all of them but i can use only "yellow" faces, so i'm wondering how to use others tones.

Even for family category there is : man, woman - man, man - woman, woman - man, woman, girl - man, woman, boy - man, man, boy - etc... etc...

It's not a big deal i just want to know how it works. :)

The Unicode standard supports skin tone modifiers and other modifiers for gender and hair colours.

Your phone keyboard likely allows you to specify your preferred skin tone, gender, and hair colour either generally or on a per emoji basis, or sometimes it just lists all variants.

In many areas, particularly posts, we convert the default native emoji character into an image. We also provide some alt/title text which is why phrases for those.

As for our emoji picker and autocomplete we haven’t yet provided a way to pick anything other than the default variant. This was partly due to time constraints when we first developed the feature and partly due to not really having an ideal way to present a UI to select skin tone and other modifiers but it is on our radar to do it at some point.

Solution
Thanks for your reply Chris, i understand now. I don't know if it's the ideal way but the link provided by webbouk presents a way which is not so bad. since it's on your radar then everything's fine !

There is the other option and that is to create Custom emojis and enable them for your users using the ACP>Content>Smilies.

There is also the import function within there. Not an out of the box solution but one easily workable.

Thanks for your reply Chris, i understand now. I don't know if it's the ideal way but the link provided by webbouk presents a way which is not so bad. since it's on your radar then everything's fine !

Every device has a way to use toned emoji by default already.

In iOS you can use the tone modifier with the built in keyboard, since iOS14 it even has emoji search.
On Windows use 'Windows Key' + '.' to bring up the emoji search with modifiers for the relevant emoji
On Mac use 'Ctrl' + 'Cmd' + 'Space'
I imagine android is similar to iOS.

Top Bottom