Implemented emoji dropdown/suggestion as you write (like user mentions)

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm sure that @Brogan would love this suggestion...

I'd have to say that, whilst I'm not averse to emoji, I'd hate to see posts being littered with them, reducing proper sentences reduced to abbreviated emoji messages. I think it's easy enough already for mobile users to add emoji.

I've just watched the video. This doesn't speed up writing at all - you have to write word before the corresponding emoji is shown.

If an implementation was somehow achieved whereby a suggested emoji list was shown (similar to suggested names), this would be constantly appearing for most words of 3 or more characters. I can see this being more of an annoyance than a help to most users.

Yes, I think that he will love that. :whistle: but try to think to a complete collection of Brogan stickers... :LOL:

I've just watched the video. This doesn't speed up writing at all - you have to write word before the corresponding emoji is shown.

If an implementation was somehow achieved whereby a suggested emoji list was shown (similar to suggested names), this would be constantly appearing for most words of 3 or more characters. I can see this being more of an annoyance than a help to most users.
As I said in the first post, that video is off course extreme! I don't like it too user emoji/stickers/smilies to compose phrases on forums.

Try to think of it with less "stickers" or smilies. They will appear less often. Take look at the GitHub implementation.

Take a look at this two examples from GitHub:

http://recordit.co/xZk2CWea1W

http://recordit.co/WG1ZNO8FZt

as you can see it suggest smilies "happy group" smilies if you start to write for example ":happy" :love:

Love the suggestion. Sometimes I don't remember the full BBCode for an smilie/emoji and it takes some time to find it on a forum with a big list of smilies. This would definitely help.

There this Django powered light weight forum I am using that has it and it is amazing, just type : with any word and you will have suggestions based on the words. Great!

Discourse has a nice implementation which auto-suggests smileys based on what you type

Additionally, the smiley editor button triggers a tabbed pop up, instead of the drawer. There's some annoying imitations to the drawer on mobile when using it with big posts. Often if you scroll back up to tap the icon to open the drawer, the drawer is off screen so you don't even know if the tap was effective or not until you scroll back down.

http://recordit.co/svkwsFrRIc

There this Django powered light weight forum I am using that has it and it is amazing, just type : with any word and you will have suggestions based on the words. Great!
Yes, this way can be a solution. No suggestions if you don't type :

Example:
Typing :smile_group_name => it suggest all the emoji/smiles of that group.
Typing :smile_name => it suggest first the specific smile and then other smilies from the same group.

Typing :smile_group_name => it suggest all the emoji/smiles of that group.
Typing :smile_name => it suggest first the specific smile and then other smilies from the same group.
This already works because the autocomplete search in the description too so you can set "keyword" in it to make them not only come up with their group but also "multi-group". Just write "keywords" in the description.

Top Bottom