XF 2.0 Emails not being sent, got server error

Dreamplay

Emails that I manually send via communication or emails that automatically get sent such as email verification does not get sent. I am getting this server error:

Server error logs
Clear
Email to lukas.friman@live.se failed: Connection to tcp://158.69.126.166:465 Timed Out
Email to lukas.friman@live.se failed: Connection to tcp://158.69.126.166:465 Timed Out
Email to lukas.friman@live.se failed: Connection to tcp://mail.alter-community.com:465 Timed Out
Email to lukas.friman@live.se failed: Connection to tcp://mail.alter-community.com:465 Timed Out

Showing all items
Log out
v2.0.4
Forum software by XenForo™ © 2010-2018 XenForo Ltd.

Server error log
  • Swift_TransportException: Email to lukas.friman@live.se failed: Connection to tcp://158.69.126.166:465 Timed Out
  • src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:404
  • Generated by: Dreamplay
  • Apr 29, 2018 at 2:12 PM
Stack trace
#0 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(289): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->_getFullResponse(0)
#1 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(117): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->_readGreeting()
#2 src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(276): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->start()
#3 src/XF/Mail/Mail.php(335): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), NULL)
#4 src/XF/Job/UserEmail.php(69): XF\Mail\Mail->send()
#5 src/XF/Job/AbstractUserCriteriaJob.php(59): XF\Job\UserEmail->executeAction(Object(XF\Entity\User))
#6 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(241): XF\Job\AbstractUserCriteriaJob->run(7.99999904633)
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(187): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 7.99999904633)
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(103): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 7.99999904633)
#9 src/XF/Admin/Controller/Tools.php(120): XF\Job\Manager->runByIds(Array, 8)
#10 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(249): XF\Admin\Controller\Tools->actionRunJob(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#11 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(89): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Tools', 'run-job', 'html', Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag), 'tools', Object(XF\Admin\Controller\Tools), NULL)
#12 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(41): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#13 src/XF/App.php(1891): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#14 src/XF.php(328): XF\App->run()
#15 admin.php(13): XF::runApp('XF\\Admin\\App')
#16 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
["url"] => string(24) "/admin.php?tools/run-job"
["referrer"] => string(149) "https://alter-community.com/admin.php?tools/run-job&only_ids=102&_xfRedirect=https://alter-community.com/admin.php?users/email&sent=1"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["tools/run-job"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(3) {
["_xfRedirect"] => string(56) "https://alter-community.com/admin.php?users/email&sent=1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["only_ids"] => string(3) "102"
}
}

The error states the connection is timing out.

That could imply a connection issue between your server and the SMTP server.

Unless you specifically need to use SMTP, we typically recommend using the default (PHP) method for emails.

This has already been done. I've spent 2 weeks with them trying to figure out what's wrong and they've checked pretty much everything. Any ideas except trying to reinstall?

I mean, the server has been checked in every way, including comparing to other users who use Xenforo. I could ask them again, possibly ask them for a total reinstall of my webhost but I want to make sure every loose end is tied up before then. Is there no way that it could be Xenforo that can't create a connection to the email server?

If email via PHP doesn't work then that should be fairly simple to resolve as it typically just involves installing a mail transfer agent (e.g. Postfix or SendMail) and PHP configured to use it (sendmail_path).

I don't know who your host is but perhaps switching hosts would be the better option.

The thing is, while posting with PHP it doesn't give a error at all which leads me to believe that there could be a problem with Xenforo when it's supposed to try and send an email. Is there any ground to my hypothesis?

Top Bottom