XF 2.1 Emails not being received (using NameCheap Shared Hosting)

Hey,

I'm having trouble receiving automated emails from my XenForo. I'm using NameCheap Shared Hosting.

For example - when signing up a new account and trying to get email confirmation, I keep receiving the following error:

Mail failure - rejected by local scanning code

A message that you sent was rejected by the local scanning code that
checks incoming messages on this system. The following error was given:

"Relaying not permitted"

And here's from the server log:

• Swift_TransportException: Email to myemail@gmail.com failed: Unable to send mail.
  • src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php:295

Code:
#0 src/XF/Mail/Mail.php(395): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), Object(Swift_SmtpTransport), NULL, true)
#1 src/XF/Service/Contact.php(195): XF\Mail\Mail->send()
#2 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Misc.php(81): XF\Service\Contact->send()
#3 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(350): XF\Pub\Controller\Misc->actionContact(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(261): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Misc', 'Contact', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(XF\Pub\Controller\Misc), NULL)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(113): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(XF\Pub\Controller\Misc), NULL)
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(55): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#7 src/XF/App.php(2184): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#8 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#9 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#10 {main}

I did a bit of research on the web and saw some suggestions about using SMTP, and so I created an email account from my shared hosting (cPanel) and configured my SMTP details in the XenForo Admin Area. However, short of luck... I'm not even able to receive any mail.

Any idea on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

What address are you using for your "Default email address" and "Contact email address" settings in XenForo?

Shared hosting can be difficult in regards to mail deliverability - all it takes is one person doing the wrong thing and the IP address of the mail server you all use gets added to all the spam block lists and most of your mail won't get delivered. That's not what is causing your problems here - it's just a general comment about the risks of trying to send mail using shared hosting infrastructure.

I always recommend using a 3rd party email service provider (ESP) such as SendGrid, Mailjet, Amazon SES, Pepipost, SparkPost, etc.

What address are you using for your "Default email address" and "Contact email address" settings in XenForo?

Shared hosting can be difficult in regards to mail deliverability - all it takes is one person doing the wrong thing and the IP address of the mail server you all use gets added to all the spam block lists and most of your mail won't get delivered. That's not what is causing your problems here - it's just a general comment about the risks of trying to send mail using shared hosting infrastructure.

I always recommend using a 3rd party email service provider (ESP) such as SendGrid, Mailjet, Amazon SES, Pepipost, SparkPost, etc.

Welp, my dumb mistake. I had a Gmail address in the "Default email address" instead of the SMTP email I created. That solved it.

Just out of curiosity - how would one utilize a 3rd-party email with XenForo email? Is there a plugin required?

Top Bottom