1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Email Notifications

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by FredC, Jul 29, 2013.

1. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

This has been a problem far before i upgraded to 1.2 but im determined to solve the issue now.. So what would prevent a small handful of users from getting their email notifications? We have already went over the basics.. Check your spam folder, check your preferences, Etc... So any idea where else i should be looking to see whats amiss for these few members?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If it's only a few members then it is either their mail programs flagging them as spam, or their ISPs blocking the content due to a blacklist or similar.

3. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

This is what my member is saying about his spam folder.. I have no idea why we would be blocked by any ISP but ill dig deeper there for sure.

Is there any easy way to tell if a domain is being black listed by various ISP's???

The XF software is the only thing that sends emails through that Domain.. We have never even so much as sent a single newsletter. So being black listed seems odd.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. Brogan

5. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Its starting to look like emails from my domain are being black listed by Verizon.. well so far all ive really determined is that Verizon is the common denominator.. However its not being sent to spam folders they just are not coming period..

6. Brogan

Contact Verizon and explain the problem.
    They should be able to help.

7. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I did and they said in no uncertain terms that my site is not blocked and never has been.. So now what?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

DKIM and SPF set up correctly?

Brogan likes this.
  9. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

umm i dont even know what those are... let me get in touch with my buddy Google and ill get back with ya.

10. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

11. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

So i guess the answer is No its not set up correctly..

12. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

That would be the first thing I'd set up then.

You want to add a TXT record to your DNS with the IP addresses that you'd be sending mail from, such as I have:

Code:
    v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:89.145.112.71 +ip4:89.145.112.72 +include:spf.mandrillapp.com ?all 
    2 server IP addresses, and mandrillapp as I use them as well to send e-mail.

FredC likes this.
  13. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Awesome im going to give this a shot.. Will report back later.. Appreciate the help.. Thank you... Now lets hope i have something good to report when i get back..

MattW likes this.
  14. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I much appreciate the advice about my spf records and im sure its a bonus that we finally have spf text set for my domain but it didnt change anything for the members (a small handful) not receiving email notifications. :(

15. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Are you on your own server/vps or shared hosting?

16. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Dedicated..

17. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Are you able to look in the server email logs to see if there are any messages about the mails being rejected?

18. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I appreciate the effort and attempt to help me troubleshoot and solve this problem however i have stepped down as the administrator of the site in question and the issue is no longer my problem..