Not a bug Email notification stop not working...

Sonnie

Affected version
I am getting hundreds of emails for the same email notification at the same date/time over and over. I clicked the link to stop the notifications, but I'm still getting them. Any idea why I would be getting all these repetitive notifications?

I noticed the Stop email notifications section has this xa_sc_stop line in there... what is that from?

1585414014875.webp

What exactly is the content of the email notification?

I’m not certain but the missing phrase may be from @Bob’s Showcase add-on (at a guess).

If the email notification also comes from that add-on (or another add-on) then that is where we’d recommend starting.

As a matter of fact it is a notification from Showcase... may need to turn that off... it's gone bazonkers on us.

This is what they advised...

So long and short Xenforo was eating its self in email. I'm not sure what started the loop but the xf_mail_queue database table ended up with 46GB worth of duplicate emails stuffed inside of it. Because it had so many emails, and more getting added for every forum post / registration etc it could never complete an entire 'send'. I've had to manually purge these emails. After that I registered a test account to ensure emails are functioning properly & that the email queue is purging itself as it should as well which it is.

We're now showing a proper empty xf_mail_queue and no new errors logged within Xenforo.

Looking more towards the root cause, my best guess is we hit some weird Xenforo bug which caused an enormous amount of duplicate emails to be generated and it was either triggered by/during the migration or from the SMTP failures. I'm not sure why it would have hit such a condition, as looking at things this should have been only a few hundred emails impacted at most, not thousands like it was. The emails not working were obviously bad, but that's where the problem should have stopped, and when that fixed it should have just sent the couple hundred back-logged.

Top Bottom