Email not being delivered

Sumanta0018

Hello everyone,
Recently I was facing email delivery related problem with my godaddy hosting, so I switched to knownhost (many were recommending on xenforo).
but still facing same problem, using PHP built-in mail system but email is not being delivered.
I tried test outbound email, no error from xenforo side, but not receiving test email also.
any idea... how to fix this issue?
I tried to contact knownhost, they told me to use smtp for sending email.

Reply From Knownhost-
"Hi
You have to use authentication on local server. If you're able to configure PHPmailer this way, you can use it on the site.
Thanks,"

how to use authentication on local server?

Last edited:
While its possible that you might resolve it with just an SPF record. I'd highly recommend you get yourself an SMTP service.

I helped someone that was running XF on knownhost, and there is some truth to the feedback you received. I think it was a setting in the customer Knownhost portal. If you can't receive even hosting/server notifications in your email, that would be where to check.

On the other hand, I agree that using an external SMTP email service is the better way to go. There are other threads here on options.

I helped someone that was running XF on knownhost, and there is some truth to the feedback you received. I think it was a setting in the customer Knownhost portal. If you can't receive even hosting/server notifications in your email, that would be where to check.

On the other hand, I agree that using an external SMTP email service is the better way to go. There are other threads here on options.
Changing mail providers isn’t always best, it depends on what the current web host uses to be honest.

A lot are using mailchannels now which removes the overhead of managing their own SMTP service and black lists etc.. which is perfectly fine to use from the hosting provider.

Does anyone know if knownhost offloads it’s SMTP relay to another provider like mail channels?

As mentioned above from another user, check SPF records as well, a good email spam system will block your emails if it’s not configured correctly.

Reach out via PM if you would like some assistance I’m more than happy to help.

Hello everyone,
Recently I was facing email delivery related problem with my godaddy hosting, so I switched to knownhost (many were recommending on xenforo).
but still facing same problem, using PHP built-in mail system but email is not being delivered.
I tried test outbound email, no error from xenforo side, but not receiving test email also.
any idea... how to fix this issue?
I tried to contact knownhost, they told me to use smtp for sending email.

Reply From Knownhost-
"Hi
You have to use authentication on local server. If you're able to configure PHPmailer this way, you can use it on the site.
Thanks,"

how to use authentication on local server?
I would also recommend you getting another host, Known Host doesn’t go out of there way to help their customers . I was once with them . No longer.

suggest me some good hosting company
If you aren't sending over 50K a day then you can use Amazon SES and their free tier. It is somewhat of a pain to get configured, but once you do, it works like a charm for sending. My emails are even getting successfully delivered into Hotmail/Live/Outlook inboxes... which when I was hosting my own on a self-rolled mail server they didn't. It would have scored higher, but I haven't set DMARC up yet.

9566_Screen_Shot_2022-08-16_at_8.48.12_AM.webp

You will still need mail accounts for receiving the bounce/unsubscribe's if you use that feature in XF......I host mine at ZoHo.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to setup Amazon SES, as I'm interested in switching my emails to this service for all clients I host (total emails sent don't hit anywhere near the 50K a day limit).

At a high level, its pretty simple.

• Setup domain in SES
  • Request sandbox removal from AWS support
  • Create SMTP credentials
  • Profit

At a high level, its pretty simple.

• Setup domain in SES
  • Request sandbox removal from AWS support
  • Create SMTP credentials
  • Profit
Exactly I have that setup since a decade and it worked 100% every day. Along with DKIM signing and they always have the highest reputation so emails go through any day. Setup an SPF record and youre done.

That was so difficult working on the server ("EXIM") I never want to do that again when I can sent like hundred of thousands of emails from AWS for the price of a coffee.

Top Bottom