Email Idle Users by Waindigo [Deleted]

Jon W

Waindigo submitted a new resource:

Email Idle Users by Waindigo - Emails users that haven't visited your site within a specified number of days.

Description:

This add-on sends an email to users that haven't visited your site within a specified number of days. It then sends a follow up email a few days later.

The number of days after which to send both emails can be changed in the options for this add-on, and the email that is sent is fully customisable from the options screen in the Admin Control Panel.

It is also possible to limit the number of emails sent out in a single day and exclude certain users from receiving emails....

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Looks good. Does it send to all idle users, or only those who have clicked "receive site mailings"?
Currently it doesn't check for the "receive site mailings" check box. The queries for getting the emails for the first and second email can be found in this file:
library/Waindigo/EmailIdleUsers/Model/EmailIdleUsers.php

It should be an easy enough edit to add that check to the SQL query.

Looks very useful :-)

How does this handle thousands of users and also bouncing emails?

You mentioned that it can be set to send X per day but then do the remainder get sent over the next day and so on?

Looks very useful :)

How does this handle thousands of users and also bouncing emails?

You mentioned that it can be set to send X per day but then do the remainder get sent over the next day and so on?
That's right. So the daily limitation only really works if for some reason you have a lot of users who all went idle on the same day. I suppose this is something that could happen, for example you might get a lot of users come to the site in response to an announcement/newsletter you send out, but then none of them come back again. Or if your site went down, for example.

In XenForo 1.2, we do use the new mail queuing system, so hopefully this should mean that it will have no problem handling thousands of users. I am not sure whether the queuing system is designed to protect against bouncing emails in any way -- you would have to ask Mike/Kier about that. But certainly this add-on will not be made aware of any bounced emails or anything like that.

Hope that answers your questions.

On our site we have around 20k users but really only 3k or so "active" users. Some of our users signed up in 2009 and haven't been back for a while. Would this addon work in sending them a one-off email to encourage them to come back?

On our site we have around 20k users but really only 3k or so "active" users. Some of our users signed up in 2009 and haven't been back for a while. Would this addon work in sending them a one-off email to encourage them to come back?
Should do. So in that case, when you install the add-on it would probably be useful to set the limit as it will immediately start to work through all your idle users since 2009.

The add-on will always send two emails out (unless you set the number of days for the second email to some ridiculous number of days). The gap between the first and second email will be the same as for users who have gone idle more recently as it takes the difference between the number of days you set.

Is it just two emails and then that's it? That sounds perfect as we only want to remind people we're still here and bring them back if they're interested, not spam them every week for instance.

Is it just two emails and then that's it? That sounds perfect as we only want to remind people we're still here and bring them back if they're interested, not spam them every week for instance.
That's correct. Two emails and that is absolutely it. It is actually so strict that even if they come back in response to the email, it won't then email them again if they then go idle again.

Is this similar to Inactive User Mail Notifier (I think it was by Ragtek)?
I am not aware of that add-on so couldn't say. I imagine it probably is though.

This add-on is based on an add-on originally developed by another developer before we purchased the rights to it in order to release it for free to the XenForo community, but it wasn't Ragtek.

How do you stop the emails being sent to users of a certain usergroup? I can only find a option to add usernames.

How do you stop the emails being sent to users of a certain usergroup? I can only find a option to add usernames.
This is not currently possible. Please PM if you would like to contribute towards this feature.

Ah right, I've misread info, where it says exclude users, I've read it as usergroups.
I guess users is useful in that if a user sends you a very angry email after the first email is sent you can add them to a list to make sure they don't get a second one.

I can see why user groups would be useful to though, but for different reasons.

Does this also send emails to banned users and discouraged users? I certainly would not want to ask those to come back. Does this also send email to users with inactive/unconfirmed email?

From your comments above I understand that after installing this addon sends 2 emails to all idle users. In my case that's 170.000 members. Could be a little challenging.

Does this have its own email template or does this use a xf default template? I ask because according to various laws and the T0S of all large email providers, all outgoing email needs to confirm to specific rules. I have explained this out here:
How to keep your board from getting blacklisted as a spammer
(Skip the technical stuff and the stuff related to vb)
For example the footer needs a link to allow the user to automatically opt out of further reminder emails. The email also needs to explain why the email is sent, to which email address and by whom it was sent.

Does this also send emails to banned users and discouraged users? I certainly would not want to ask those to come back. Does this also send email to users with inactive/unconfirmed email?
It does not send to banned or unconfirmed accounts. I will post an update that stops it sending to discouraged users also.

From your comments above I understand that after installing this addon sends 2 emails to all idle users. In my case that's 170.000 members. Could be a little challenging.
See posts above. There is an option to set a cap on the number of emails sent per day. Also, in XenForo 1.2, it uses the XenForo queuing system to avoid sending all emails at once.

Does this have its own email template or does this use a xf default template? I ask because according to various laws and the T0S of all large email providers, all outgoing email needs to confirm to specific rules. I have explained this out here:
How to keep your board from getting blacklisted as a spammer
(Skip the technical stuff and the stuff related to vb)
For example the footer needs a link to allow the user to automatically opt out of further reminder emails. The email also needs to explain why the email is sent, to which email address and by whom it was sent.
The content of the email can be customised in the options for this add-on.

Top Bottom