Email Announcements with Full Message Text

Gene Steinberg

One feature that seemed to be lacking in the early betas, based on a previous message I posted, is the ability for the new message/thread announcements you receive via email to contain the full text of the message, as happens in vBulletin.

Has this changed?

That, to me, is a deal breaker.

Also, what about a mobile version?

i have asked about this before and it has not changed which leads me to the thinking that it was done by design.
XF wants people to go back to your website to check message. Is that good/bad?

i have asked about this before and it has not changed which leads me to the thinking that it was done by design.
XF wants people to go back to your website to check message. Is that good/bad?

Bad for me. It means lots of extra work on the part of visitors, but also moderators (many of whom are volunteers) who want to keep track of a forum's traffic without having to constantly enter and leave the forums during the course of a regular workday. This is something that ought to be regarded as optional. Have it display the full message if you wish. Have it display part of the message (as with MyBB), or not. As I said, this is a deal-breaker for me, unless there's an available third party alternative or simple hack to make it so.

Yes, optional would be great. Showing partial message (length settable in case the msg is very long) would give the receivers a chance to decide to whether to answer or not.

And if they can respond to PC by email, it's even greater ;)

Yes, optional would be great. Showing partial message (length settable in case the msg is very long) would give the receivers a chance to decide to whether to answer or not.

And if they can respond to PC by email, it's even greater ;)

Well, if you mean a mobile version, perhaps the folks here can add support for Tapatalk, a mobile app (available for iOS and Android) that provides access to loads of forums from smartphones and tablets.

No, I don't mean mobile which is another discussion. I mean when you get email notification, you can reply to that notification and it will show in your Personal Convo thread instead of going to log in, go to PC and reply there.

No, I don't mean mobile which is another discussion. I mean when you get email notification, you can reply to that notification and it will show in your Personal Convo thread instead of going to log in, go to PC and reply there.

From a purely commercial standpoint, I kind of like drawing the member in to the forums for the reply. I just want the member emails to include the posts.

On one of my forums I removed the content of the PM so members had to go back to the forum.
I got tired of people replying to their PM email and it coming to me.
I have the same problem when people subscribe to a thread.

I can see providing the content in the email and having an option to remove the content or edit a template or phrase.

On one of my forums I removed the content of the PM so members had to go back to the forum.
I got tired of people replying to their PM email and it coming to me.
I have the same problem when people subscribe to a thread.

I can see providing the content in the email and having an option to remove the content or edit a template or phrase.
And it doesn't hurt to have a sentence like this: "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!"

I'd love to have the full text of PC notifications. Sometimes they need an immediate reply and sometimes it can wait awhile - but currently I have to treat every single one of them as if they might be urgent.

I too would like the option of adding content replies to email notifications. The lack of content devalues email notifications. I think members, especially mobile, will be less likely to watch a topic.

<snip>
Also, what about a mobile version?

It has been stated several times that XenForo will get some sort of mobile skin or solution in the future.

Right now, XenForo's development team (Kier and Mike) are working solely to get a stable foundation to which powerful and extensive features will and can be added down the line.

I am in the same boat. If my users have to log to see the content of every message they will come after me with pitchforks.

I would very much like to move from vb but this is a showstopper until it gets addressed.

I'm in a position with two forums that I have to renew shortly to get all the vB 4.0.x updates released since my support contract ran out. I'd be happy to put my money elsewhere for a better deal, but this is what's preventing me from moving in this direction.

Top Bottom