Include full message text in emails - Enable or not?

Which thread/forum setting brought more traffic? Enabled or disabled?

• I got a higher traffic/ engagement with the message text included = option activated

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I got a higher traffic/ engagement without the message text included = option disabled

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • The traffic/ engagement was the same for both, on and off

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

snoopy5

Hi,

I would like to hear about your experience with the ACP setting in Setup/options/email options/

"Include full message text in watched thread/forum notification emails."

Which setting resulted in more traffic for your forum? Enabled or disabled?

(I am not talking about conversation notification emails)

For me, it wasn't a traffic consideration, more usability. Too many people tried to reply to the email when they were able to read it and it of course bounced.

by not being able to read it, they clicked the link to the forum and replied in the correct spot.

Keep going. We need more participants in this poll to get a realistic interpretation of the results

I have it disabled. If someone gets an answer and they can read the full answer in the mail, then they won't bother to go to the forum.
You will miss some interaction, like someone confirming the problem has been solved or a thank you.

Keep going. We need more participants in this poll to get a realistic interpretation of the results

Cannot participate.

We never had it on, so I cannot compare ON and OFF results. I would however never consider to have it ON, except for small non-profit boards. And you would have to prepare your email system for getting answers to such notification emails if you have it ON.

Always disabled for the same reason that briansol mentioned:
Too many people tried to reply to the email when they were able to read it and it of course bounced.

by not being able to read it, they clicked the link to the forum and replied in the correct spot.

I've turned the option off as it encourages users to visit the forum to read the message. Also, the message may have been modified since the alert went out, so it's important that the user sees the latest version.

For a large/very busy forum I manage that's 21 years old, and another I founded that is 27 years old, I've always had it on. Since members are so accustomed to it now, turning it off would only cause an uproar.

Even as a user, I prefer getting the email with the message. As busy as I am, I often delete those forum notices when I'm away from a computer and usually forget to go back and read the replies. I don't have time to thumb through forums all day.

On SpaceBattles we actually have it on by default, but we've got a list of email providers we disable it for.

This is because some providers anti-spam solution will reject email in a way which causes XF to see a hard-bounce and force the account into an 'email bounced' state. Which is decidedly nasty for the end user, and runs the risk of the site getting added to a dns reject list somewhere.

I have not measured - but LinkedIn does not include the message in email notifications and that is all you need to know re: which approach drives engagement back to your platform - LI's objective is to categorically drive engagement on the platform and so they exlude the message. We can conclude this because we know that LI has an army of UX professionals and data analysts and that they did not arrive at this approach by putting a wet finger in the air.

But.. to me, this is a dark UX practice that leads to enshitification. Not having the message in the email and forcing folk to click to read is really annoying and mean of spirit. So I enable it.

Re: Private Messages (Conversations)

To combat the user 'reply' issue, I edited the two conversation phrase templates (conversation_insert_email_html & conversation_reply_email_html) to produce this;

1689911755241.webp

But why? Links to this

Top Bottom