Cannot reproduce  Editor does not work with Safari 3.0.4

Rigel Kentaurus

The TinyMCE editor does not seem to work with Safari 3.0.4
Plus, I did not find a way to disable the editor, either at the user preferences, or at the admincp

Why would you want to disable the editor?

For the users that refuse to upgrade their browser for whatever reason, I just asked them to use the default textarea instead of the full editor (that way they could still post).

I also think that is a nice compromise from making it work with a hundred versions of browsers that the developers are not willing to test against (especially very old ones).

Aha, so you didn't mean disable the editor altogether.
You meant disable the WYSIWYG editor and only have the plain text editor available.

Hence my confusion.

Using Safari 3.04 is like someone using IE6.

That's just odd.

For the record, I do not use Safari 3.0.4
Some of my users do. They report the issues to me, I replicate and validate them, then post them here.

I do not think my job is evangelizing my users and helping them into upgrading their browsers. Mostly, because it would be an impossible and/or fulltime thing. My job is to make sure the forum works for them.

Some solutions for me are disabling the advanced editor, or detecting useragent and displaying a prominent message that says "your browser is not supported" or something else. Giving the appearance that something works then doesn't is not a good user experience, either make it work, or display a message saying that it doesn't and why.

I'm trying Safari 3.0.4 on Windows, and the editor seems to work. Though I seem to have issues with other JS that I'm still trying to track down. I can use quick reply without an issue, though submitting it doesn't show the post unless I do a refresh. Is that the behavior your actually saw?

You can disable the WYSIWYG editor. Upper right area of your quick reply.

Attachments

• editor.webp
    editor.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom