Fixed  Editor Does Not Work in Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 7

cmeinck

The editor does not work on Internet Explorer, the default browser that ships with Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 devices. You can place your cursor in the box, but the on-screen keyboard doesn't popup. On mobile Safari, you get a different, but functional editor. I presume there is a way to set up a sniffer, so that it works on IE for Windows Phone 7?

Additionally, none of the pop-ups work and you cannot login unless you go directly to the login page /community/login

The user agent string is

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; SAMSUNG; SGH-i917)

I also can't get the login form to appear on my HTC HD7, either. MS are brain dead for using IE7 on a brand new platform. :(

Having a Windows Phone forum, you can imagine my frustration. You can login by visiting your forum URL followed by /login/. Of course, you're readers won't know that...

I need to find a way to add the user agent string so that it kicks back the iPad editor. I'm guessing that would work.

Rich (BB code):
            else if (self::isBrowsingWith('opera') && preg_match('#Opera Mini[^;]*#', $ua))
            {
                return true;
            }
            else if (preg_match('#IEMobile/#', $ua))
            {
                return true;
            }
You should be able to just add the code in red to library/XenForo/Visitor.php.

Thanks Mike. That did the trick. On Windows Phone 7, there are browser settings. Unfortunately, the user can select between Desktop or Mobile mode. I assume when they are in desktop mode, they are as you put it best "masquerading" as a desktop version.

In mobile mode, it works as intended. This will tide me over until TapaTalk supports XF and/or a mobile template is released. If you want to send me an early holiday gift, a mobile template would be great under my tree.;)

Unfortunately, if they masquerade, there's likely nothing we can do - if you can get the user agent from that, maybe there's something we could trust. On the whole, probably not.

Top Bottom