Not a bug  Edited post dissappearing from thread

SchmitzIT

I'm having an odd issue. My users have complained that when they edit a post, it dissappears from the thread they are looking at. I verified the bug, and have been trying to figure out where this is coming from.

I cannot replicate it on my other site, which has no add-ons. I also did not see the bug on my main forum, when switching to the default style.

We use a parent style, though, and it appears in there, plus in the child styles for that parent style. I'm a bit baffled as to where to look for the origins of this.

Any thoughts?

Peter

Which add-ons do you have installed?

As you've already confirmed this doesn't happen on a vanilla install, it's likely that it will be an add-on/change causing this.

The last report of this related to a customized style. Possibly due to non-validating HTML.

I'm also hinting towards a style somehow, due to the default style on the forum not giving the error.

We're in the middle of rewriting our styles, but curiosity got the better of me, and I figured it'd be nice knowing what caused it. I'll see if I can somehow dig in deeper.

I did note that after saving the post, the forum appears to continue loading, and at the upper-right, there's an animation hinting at something still being busy. I'll see if I can figure out which element might have gone missing.

Thanks Mike (and Paul).

You could try passing a thread to the W3C validator, looking for errors that relate to mis-nesting tags. They may be relevant.

(Strictly speaking, we need the "post" template to be valid on its own though.)

How many edited templates do you have?

You could copy the templates, revert them one at a time and check when the problem clears.

Laborious, but it should at least identify the template.

Less than a handful. I went through the edited stuff, but nothing jumped out.

I did see by using FireBug that while the page appears to be stuck loading, the following bit was appended right behind my post:

style="display: none; opacity: 0;"

I searched the templates, but did not find anything in there. I also checked the html code in FireBug, and all tags seem to be opened/closed properly (at a glance, that is).

As an FYI, I tracked down the error to the message template, and specifically a minor edito made for the XenAMS add-on.

We added this at the veyr bottom of the message template:

Code:
<!-- ADD-ON CHANGE -->
<xen:if is="!{$post.position} AND {$adData.post}">
    <xen:if is="!{$message.conversation_id}">
        <xen:include template="xenams_post" />
    </xen:if>

Removing that fixed the bug.

As an FYI, I tracked down the error to the message template, and specifically a minor edito made for the XenAMS add-on.

We added this at the veyr bottom of the message template:

Code:
<!-- ADD-ON CHANGE -->
<xen:if is="!{$post.position} AND {$adData.post}">
    <xen:if is="!{$message.conversation_id}">
        <xen:include template="xenams_post" />

Removing that fixed the bug.

I haven't encounter that happening before. The good news is the next release will not have any template edits, :)

I haven't encounter that happening before. The good news is the next release will not have any template edits, :)

We're very keen on seeing the new version, Lawrence :)

And I have to admit it also had me stumped. It's the only edit we did in the message template, and reverting it did the trick. Luckily we did not use the particular template for ads anyway, so no harm done.

Top Bottom