1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Fix Edit Post - No access to VERY first character.

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by HydraulicJack, Aug 28, 2011.

1. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

In 1.0.4, Using Firefox, and editing a post, when I place my cursor in line 1 column 1 - that is at the VERY beginning of the topmost paragraph, and press Enter to try to move the text down to insert another character, nothing happens.

I have to place cursor AFTER the very first character THEN press Enter, or insert a SPACE at line 1 col 1 and with cursor after that space, pressing enter DOES work.
    erich37 likes this.
  2. HydraulicJack

After further testing, I see that this seems to be true in Column 1 on ANY line.
  3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Which Firefox ?
    This sounds like a TinyMCE issue.
    Any reports of this problem on their forums ?
  4. HydraulicJack

Firefox 6.0 on Mac.
  5. Digital Doctor

It works fine on a PC with Firefox 3.6 for me.

6. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

I can confirm this on my installation of XenForo too - Mac 10.6.8 and Firefox 6.0 - unable to add a new line at the very start of an edited post. However, you can add a space, then a line, (then delete the space) so it is easy to work around if you're wanting to edit the start of a post.
  7. Digital Doctor

This problem would need reporting to the TinyMCE people.
  8. HydraulicJack

Sorry, I don't know what TinyMCE or its people are.
  9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Yep... If you have the first word in bold, and then you try to edit the post starting with the first character - that cannot be done either.

I put my cursor before the word test when I edited it, and nothing could be done. I need to use the non-rtf editor to edit the post.

Chrome 12 on XP.
    HydraulicJack likes this.
  10. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

No problem with Mac 10.7.1 and FF 6.0
    HydraulicJack likes this.
  11. Digital Doctor

12. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

yeah, the editor is totally corrupted (at least for me as I am using FireFox 6.0 and with previous FireFox versions I have been using).

enter, double blank line space, delete-key, return key, etc. do not work properly.
  13. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I get a similar issue in IE (8 & 9) where there is no visible cursor when you try to edit a post.

I usually have to click on a smiley (which is inserted at the very first character on the post) after which the editor becomes "active" and I can edit.

Shaun :D
  14. HydraulicJack

Hmm now THIS is interesting too. I keep trying to UNBOLD THIS line in the REPLY box and THAT is not working! Whutthuh???
  15. HydraulicJack

Good to know, DSF! Am now investigating Lion. Thanks for the prod!
  16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Curious if this is still happening with the various updated browsers. I can confirm it with bold text at the start but haven't noticed it otherwise. Unfortunately, that is likely to be a TinyMCE or even an internal browser thing and possibly hard for us to handle.
  17. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever make or find a bug report for this in the TinyMCE Bug Tracker?
  18. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump this thread but I couldn't find the one specific to my issue, this is the closest one I could find.

The behaviour described in OP is similar to another problem where you can't hit 'return' to get a new line after hitting edit, can anyone link me up?
  19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Switch to the plain text editor.

That's currently the only workaround.