XF 1.5 Edit post by self is not shown when using test permissions utility

Aivaras

I've given a user the permission to edit posts by self.

I've used the analyze permissions utility to make sure the permission for that user has a positive value. Yes, it does.

As a final step, I've used the test permissions utility. Unfortunately, it does not show the edit link in the footer of the messages by that user, yet if I log in as that user, the edit link is there.

Is this by intention or omission?

Yes, I was aware of those caveats. It was still a surprise because I also tried setting the permission to edit posts by anyone in the forum moderator permissions and that one did show via test permissions.

As the description text states:
As this user's permissions will be applied to your account, keep in mind that user-specific permissions will affect you. For example, if the user you're testing as can only edit his/her own posts, you will only be able to edit your own posts.

Even if so, how useful is that from an admin's perspective?

I resort to the utility when I want to quickly double-check whether the user can actually access the functionality I've just turn on for him/her via permissions.

Even if so, how useful is that from an admin's perspective?
You can still determine that. But remember, you are testing the permission "set" that has been applied to the user in question as if it were applied to you. It's exactly as if you took all the final yes/no values you see in permission analysis and applied them to your account. (Hence, you can edit your own posts but not others if that permission is set.)

You can still determine that. But remember, you are testing the permission "set" that has been applied to the user in question as if it were applied to you. It's exactly as if you took all the final yes/no values you see in permission analysis and applied them to your account. (Hence, you can edit your own posts but not others if that permission is set.)
I do understand that (a sort of try walking in his/her shoes) but I'm not sure about its usefulness.

What if I as an admin have no posts and I want to check visually in the UI whether the user who's been given the permission to edit post by self can actually access it (see the edit link in the footer). I wouldn't be able to do it.

How about adding a second mode to the test permissions utility to show the admin what the user sees based on the user's permission set?

Top Bottom