• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Add-on Edit History

I agree post edit history should be a core feature, and I like the way it is designed in the screens in the OP.

I put a lot of thought into designs to streamline things, so thanks I'm glad people like it :)

I do expect some form of edit history to be in XenForo some time in the future but understand people need it now and as it was holding back a friends convert he decided to annoy me until I made it. The code design needs a little more work and then I personally think it would be in a good enough state to put into XenForo as a core feature, I highly doubt that happening though.

Version 1.0 Beta 1.1 released
Backup before running the upgrade! This is beta software.

This release is to fix some bugs and inconsistencies.
  • added defaults to database to stop the mod breaking things when not active
  • fixed the view all history permission not working when view own history is set
  • fixed the link to view post history not working after an inline edit
  • viewing history of a post without it being loaded with ajax will now look the same as the ajax method

1) The installation is difficult for large forums. Where the installer adds columns to the xf_post table timed out on me, I worked around it by doing it manually and editing the install file.
2) I set our Admin group to be able to view edits (both permissions), then our general usergroup with only view that it has been edited, and I (Admin) lost the ability to view the edits.

Past that, thank you, we've needed this for a while.
2 should be fixed with 1.0 Beta 1.1.

I'm going to add instructions for adding the columns to the first post now. Can you think of some way I can make it easier for big board users though? If XenForo allowed for more advanced add-on installation I would do some setup steps but currently that would require an additional add-on.

EDIT: also this update changes all those columns again. All it does is add defaults to the last 4 columns in xf_post 0 for int columns and '' for the varchar column. So doing that manually for this update would be best. If you don't get it working tell me on my site and I'll attach a custom XML file for you to use which won't do the queries and time out on you.

Just curious, where are all of the previous post versions stored in the database? In a new table, I assume?

merc_history stores the history information for a post. merc_history_record stores each actual edit. You won't see any performance changes as nothing extra is loaded unless you load it. So when you see the line showing who edited last and what line it is from the xf_post table so grabbing an extra 3 columns I think it is will do basically nothing to query times. Then the other things are loading via ajax when they are requested.

merc_history stores the history information for a post. merc_history_record stores each actual edit. You won't see any performance changes as nothing extra is loaded unless you load it. So when you see the line showing who edited last and what line it is from the xf_post table so grabbing an extra 3 columns I think it is will do basically nothing to query times. Then the other things are loading via ajax when they are requested.
So is that where edit history for templates, etc. is stored? Or is that not actually implemented yet but it has the capability for that to be implemented?

Excellent job by the way. While I won't be buying it because I don't have an active forum, I'm impressed and I hope they go with something very similar to this system when this does eventually get put into the core. :)

The only thing needed for the template edits is for the actual templates to handle them (as in templates to show history) and the handlers need to be coded. It will use the database the same as the post edit history does. Oh and there will need to be extensions of various models to automatically create a history record for when updating from a XenForo upgrade or an add-on upgrade.

Hi. I don't want certain usergroups to be able to see that a post was edited by an administrator.

Can you add usergroups permissions to see if posts were edited and a usergroup permission to disable the ability for other members to see that their posts were edited?

There is no option in this add-on for that even though it is available in xenforo by default, without your addon.

Hi. I don't want certain usergroups to be able to see that a post was edited by an administrator.

Can you add usergroups permissions to see if posts were edited and a usergroup permission to disable the ability for other members to see that their posts were edited?

There is no option in this add-on for that even though it is available in xenforo by default, without your addon.
How is it in XenForo by default? You can't even see if one is edited at all by default?
Anyways, I think I will make it so that you can set permission for people to not leave a record behind by choice, so a checkbox on edit. Then also add the ability to delete records... in case whoever it is doesn't want the record noted but forgets to uncheck the option. I would also like pruning options so there are no massive logs if you don't want them. All this will be a little while away though as I have to get my website done properly to handle selling and supporting these mods better.

How is it in XenForo by default? You can't even see if one is edited at all by default?
That's correct. In default, you can't even see if anything was edited at all period. It doesn't show up at all unless you are allowed to see through permission This mod overrides that permission and lets people see, no matter what you set it to.

That's correct. In default, you can't even see if anything was edited at all period. It doesn't show up at all unless you are allowed to see through permission This mod overrides that permission and lets people see, no matter what you set it to.
I have never been able to see if a post was edited at all without this mod? What permission?

I have never been able to see if a post was edited at all without this mod? What permission?
View edit history by anyone

^^^^

By default, if that permission is set to not set or revoke, you can't see if a post has ever been edited.

With this mod on however, ANYONE can see that a post has been edited even if they aren't allowed to see the history.

Top Bottom