• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Add-on Edit History

Robbo

This is the first release of the MercenaryDesign Edit History add-on. It is in a workable state but missing various planned features which will be listed below. Post edit history works well which is the main aim for this add-on.

edit1.jpg edit2.jpg edit3.jpg edit4.jpg

NOTE TO BIG BOARD ADMINS: this add-on adds 4 columns to xf_post which will be one of your largest, if not largest, table in your database so this can take some time so I recommend doing it manually.
Simply run these 4 queries before installing:
Code:
ALTER TABLE xf_post ADD COLUMN edit_count INT UNSIGNED DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE xf_post ADD COLUMN last_edit_username VARCHAR(50) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE xf_post ADD COLUMN last_edit_user_id INT UNSIGNED DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE xf_post ADD COLUMN last_edit_date INT UNSIGNED DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL;
Features
  • permissions to view own posts edit history and all posts edit history
  • option to delay logging message history for quick edits after first post. Option is in ACP -> Options -> Messages
  • shows last edit date and user to everyone
  • when the last edit date/user string is clicked a list of edits will be shown by sliding in below the post. Then you can show a single post which will load in place of the edited message. Raw contents can also be shown to show BBCode
  • the code is a modular design to allow it to be easily extended, for example template edits are planned to use a similar system in the near future
What is planned for the second beta
  • various template tweaks and small bug fixes
  • permission system to include content permissions
  • reverting an edit
  • vBulletin importer
What will be included before 1.0 Gold
  • template edit history - including from add-on and XenForo upgrades
  • a lot of code changes, not very happy with the code base at all
  • template changes, also not very happy with all of them
  • compare functionality, will be very useful for XenForo upgrades to find changes in templates
  • ability for a moderator to lock a post, for example they edit out something bad from a post and lock it so no more edits can be made
  • edit history for conversations
Change Log
  • 1.0 Beta 1.1
    • added defaults to database to stop the mod breaking things when not active
    • fixed the view all history permission not working when view own history is set
    • fixed the link to view post history not working after an inline edit
    • viewing history of a post without it being loaded with ajax will now look the same as the ajax method

Digital Doctor

NICE !

By the screenshots ... this addon accomplishes more that just "edit history".
It's a full blown Post Versioning !! That is so much more.

Addon name ideas : Post Versioning and Edit History. or Edit history and Post Versioning ?

At least use the words Post Versioning in your description.

Awesome job .... this addon is a *MUST HAVE*

Robbo

Well it is designed to work with edit history for many more things than just posts. Templates, conversations... basically anything that has a handler and templates. So if I was to change the name then Edit History and Versioning? I dunno...

One thing that I was thinking to make it more powerful is extending it to also allow for post drafts.

S

Syndol

Nice job Robbo., Looks great.
I say keep the current name - short and to the point.

Robbo

"View own post edit history" is the other permission. There will probably be more in future releases depending on what people want.

1) The installation is difficult for large forums. Where the installer adds columns to the xf_post table timed out on me, I worked around it by doing it manually and editing the install file.
2) I set our Admin group to be able to view edits (both permissions), then our general usergroup with only view that it has been edited, and I (Admin) lost the ability to view the edits.

Past that, thank you, we've needed this for a while.

Robbo

1) Yeah I forgot to make a mention of this in the release. What I am going to do is add the queries to the first post in a note for big board users to add the columns on the server instead.
2) Is now the first thing for me to look into when I get back to work later today.

Markos

I suggest a feature for the "mass revert" for the post of a users...useful with childish users that edit all thier posts after discussions with the forum admin.