1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Easy Unsubscribe email link?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Okenyon, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Okenyon

Okenyon Active Member

Is there an easy string or link I can place in my email footer that allows the user to unsubscribe from all future emails without logging in and manually turning them off?

I'm sure its again CAN SPAM to force a user to login to unsub?
    Xon likes this.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Are you referring to emails that you as an administrator send out or notification emails that are sent out automatically?
  3. Okenyon

Okenyon Active Member

Emails I personally send out.
  4. Okenyon

Okenyon Active Member

5. Okenyon

Okenyon Active Member

Anyone have any feedback on this please?
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There isn't any built in method to do that for the admin email system.
  7. Okenyon

Okenyon Active Member

I think i'm right in saying that by law you need to be able to provide a unsubscribe link that does it without making the user sign in?
    radu81 likes this.
  8. Okenyon

Okenyon Active Member

@Mike is the above not true?
  9. Mike

It may depend on the content of your email, but if you're referring to CAN-SPAM, "relationship" emails are not covered by it. As always though, if you are concerned with the legality of something, you'd need to talk to a lawyer with relevant experience. I can't say that I've read through the specifics to tell you the specific requirements, though Wikipedia just refers to an operable unsubscribe link relating to what you're referring to. (There are other content-elements which you may not be meeting, such as physical addresses.)
  10. Joe Link

Joe Link Well-Known Member

How about the automated transactional emails? Does the user have to log in to unsubscribe from those?
  11. Mike

Watched thread emails have links to stop receiving them that do not require a login.
    Joe Link likes this.
  12. marcv

marcv Member

Regardless of whether the CAN SPAM act applies to this why wouldn't we want an unsubscribe from the customer experience perspective on emails sent from the Admin CP Email to Users function? I just sent out a small test email and realized there is no unsubscribe or way to add it to the email footer. I thought that was bizarre actually for 2016. Emails these days are all supporting unsub.
  13. Korny

Korny Member

Is there a simple BBcode that can be added to a mass email?
  14. Mike

With respect to unsubscribing? No, the automatic handling is only connected to specific content.