early observations

dieketzer

just a few observations after limited use:

forumhome
1. not sure i like the idea of the forum description being hidden behind a mouseover tooltip. id prefer to simply look down the page and read them all.

forumdisplay
1. what does the star indicate? i expect the star to indicate some sort of 'favourites' function.
2. i find it annoying to be redirected to 'first unread' when clicking on the thread title. i expect (and want) to be directed to the first post in the thread. an arrow is more suggestive of 'go to first unread'.
3. post preview would be a more useful tooltip than 'go to first unread'.

vbulletin was such a success because it effectively copied ubb and the popular ubb hacks and rolled them into a single php/mysql installation. that was their birth, and that is what inspired people to jump ship. jelsoft certainly didnt try to reinvent the wheel. it is my fear that xenforo is trying to hard to be quirky, venturing too far away from the 'standards' that people have grown acustomed to over the past 15 years. i reckon this can be a big liability and should be given more thought.

im really keen to see the admin end of this. how is styling done? can header navigation be customised easily? is the moderator/admin workflow improved over vb3?
im also hoping to see a lot of connectivity amongst people that 'friend' and better integration of groups and the like into the forum. imo vb's big issue was the insulation of groups, blogs, friends, etc from one another.

forumhome
1. not sure i like the idea of the forum description being hidden behind a mouseover tooltip. id prefer to simply look down the page and read them all.

forumdisplay
1. what does the star indicate? i expect the star to indicate some sort of 'favourites' function.
2. i find it annoying to be redirected to 'first unread' when clicking on the thread title. i expect (and want) to be directed to the first post in the thread. an arrow is more suggestive of 'go to first unread'.
3. post preview would be a more useful tooltip than 'go to first unread'.

Hello dieketzer,

Reading through all the suggestions since the start, I can tell you that more people agree on all your points.

Supported.

I like when I don't have to aim at small objects when I want to read the unread posts, which is what I want normally. Using date of creation as a link to the first post is clever.

You are not sent to the "first unread" when clicking a thread title on subsequent visits to that thread which is fine,it saves you scrolling through previously read posts.

vbulletin was such a success because it effectively copied ubb and the popular ubb hacks and rolled them into a single php/mysql installation. that was their birth, and that is what inspired people to jump ship. jelsoft certainly didnt try to reinvent the wheel. it is my fear that xenforo is trying to hard to be quirky, venturing too far away from the 'standards' that people have grown acustomed to over the past 15 years. i reckon this can be a big liability and should be given more thought.

Sorry but just cannot agree with this at all.

What is the point in producing a new software platform that just copies every other offering already available? xenForo is different by design, it is light years ahead of other packages, it is innovative and forward looking, not anally retentive plagiarism.

we need multiquote!

I like when I don't have to aim at small objects when I want to read the unread posts, which is what I want normally. Using date of creation as a link to the first post is clever.
the object doesnt necessarily need to be small, no smaller than the creation date hey
clicking the thread title and landing on page one of the thread is normal expected behaviour. clicking an arrow or some other 'first unread' device to visit the first unread post is normal expected behaviour.
things as they are is unexpected behaviour.

You are not sent to the "first unread" when clicking a thread title on subsequent visits to that thread which is fine,it saves you scrolling through previously read posts.
you are correct, i am not sent to the first unread on subsequent visits, i am actually sent to the next page, and it is an unexpected behaviour. it is poor usability to make these kind of changes to function for the sake of making changes.
i forsee many sticky posts explaining new, unexpected quirky behaviour to my users. im not sure how i will personally justify the changes.

Sorry but just cannot agree with this at all.

What is the point in producing a new software platform that just copies every other offering already available? xenForo is different by design, it is light years ahead of other packages, it is innovative and forward looking, not anally retentive plagiarism.
well, thats exactly what vbulletin was. it was a faithful reproduction of ubb 5.4x and all its popular hacks running on php/mysql. you may consider that 'anally retentive plagurism', but pretty much everyone saw it as a great new php board that we had been begging infopop to create for over a year.
what is it we have been wanting vb to create for years? what changes have we been wanting to see implemented? imo, that is what xenforo should strive for, not novelty changes for no other reason than trying to be different.

as to whether or not xenforo is 'light years ahead' cannot really be determined without actually using the admin cp and setting up a board... dont get me wrong, i am excited about all this too, but i dont want my enthusiasm to cloud my judgement, so i am indeed being a bit critical (out of love hey)

Top Bottom