1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed E-Mail Missing Message ID Header

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Divvens, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

Recently, 35 of our outgoing e-mails (registration confirmation e-mails) were blocked as spam by our hosts spam filter.

The reasons they stated are;
    I didn't know to report this as a bug or as a problem, so reported this as a bug.
  2. Divvens

I've disabled e-mail verification since all the e-mail verification mails are getting caught in the spam filter. With xenForo's built it anti-spam measure I think e-mail verification can be disabled for the time being.

My host did say that none of the mails would get stuck in the spam filter if the Message ID header was provided, but for now I think I'll turn of the verification until I get this sorted out.
  3. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Is it necessary to use SMTP?
  4. Divvens

I've been using SMTP to send e-mails since our community started out. The default mail option gets caught as spam in some e-mail platforms like hotmail and yahoo (we tested these in the first days of our community).
  5. ScottSwezey

ScottSwezey Member

Here is some additional information about Spam Assassin and its MISSING_MID rule:

Divvens likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Interestingly, MISSING_MID isn't even listed in the default scores for SpamAssassin 3.3 -- in 3.2, the score is 0.001 so that's really minor in comparison to the other listed rules (which of course are a pain as these are legit "transactional" emails).

Regardless, we definitely should have a message ID so I've added that now.
    Divvens and ScottSwezey like this.