1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Planned Dynamically manipulate the like list

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by imthebest, Mar 3, 2014.

1. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

I'm migrating from a vB 3.8 forum where I was using the Post Thank You hack and adapted it to work as a like system. Even when I had restricted it's usage for new members, there were still trolls who patiently waited until reaching the post number restriction and start like-spamming official posts like announcements and so. I asked a programmer about that and he got a workaround to exclude banned members from the like list (the likes are still there, we're just hiding them from the list).

I have asked a programmer here to port that add-on to work with xF 1.3 but I was told:

So my suggestion is to not store the userids of the members who liked a message as a string so they can be dynamically manipulated to easily achieve things like, well, filtering banned members from the like list.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can obviously choose to make it behave differently for your specific needs, but removing this would potentially be a significant performance penalty. If you want to add an additional layer, there's nothing to prevent you from changing the likes list dynamically and you'd be in the same position as if the cache didn't exist.
  3. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

Hi @Mike but it looks like there is no easy way to exclude (hide, filter) the banned members from the like list of a post. Here is what the programmer said:

I'll display 20 posts per thread page, is there another easy way to hide banned members from the like list of each post without adding one additional query for each post?
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Well-Known Member

Create an extra database field for your customized likes data and hook into the datamanager to update your field and set it to whatever you like.
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You said your previous version was pulling from the DB rather than being cached. Simply ignore the cache and access the data that you want with the method that you want and you'll be equivalent.

Regardless, the query per post is the exact reason this is "No Thanks".
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

It seems you have another developer in mind, which is fine because I've got a lot on at the moment, but the solution I gave to you would likely be the most feasible.
    I've since thought it through a bit more and it may be more difficult than I originally conveyed, but really it's the only plausible way without ruining performance as Mike has suggested.