Dutch FB 'like' translation: I'm attracted to this member!

Alpha1

The FB translation for 'like' / 'I like this' gives a whole new dimension to the forum experience.

XenForo now supports specific language locales (en-US etc.), allowing Facebook content to be displayed in the language of your forum.
This is where the fun begins. I'm not sure how good the translations in other languages are but in Dutch its really messy.
The FB translation for 'Like' is 'Vind ik leuk' which can be interpreted in two ways:

'I'm attracted to this (person)'
OR
'This is funny'

I have to admit, that is fairly amusing (so, uhh, vind ik leuk! :)). But indeed, this is the text from Facebook. I believe their translations are crowdsourced, so you might be able to help improve them.

It is amusing. But after seeing it a lot, for a Dutch user its reason to quickly switch to English or try to turn like features off completely.
Its why I avoid connecting my facebook account with other sites.

Actually, this isn't entirely true. 'I'm attracted to' is translated as 'ik voel me aangetrokken tot'. 'ik vind dit leuk' is, in my opinion, a decent translation. You can also like football, friends, and a postcard.. and it's the same in dutch with 'ik vind leuk'.

So yeah. :P

Actually, this isn't entirely true. 'I'm attracted to' is translated as 'ik voel me aangetrokken tot'. 'ik vind dit leuk' is, in my opinion, a decent translation. You can also like football, friends, and a postcard.. and it's the same in dutch with 'ik vind leuk'.

So yeah. :p
Don't be difficult :D

'Vind ik leuk' is the exact wording used by facebook. If I apply that to you then its 'Ik vind jou leuk' (relating to attraction or romantic meaning). If I apply it to your post then its 'ik vind dit bericht leuk' (I find this post comical)

'Vind ik leuk' is the exact wording used by facebook. If I apply that to you then its 'Ik vind jou leuk' (relating to attraction or romantic meaning). If I apply it to your post then its 'ik vind dit bericht leuk' (I find this post comical)
'I like you' is also most commonly used in a romantic way. 'Ik vind dit bericht leuk' would most likely be translated to 'I like this message' or possibly into 'I think this message is nice' or something. For comical it would probably be something like 'grappig'.

Ah well, who cares really, we all know translations usually aren't nearly as good as the original.

'I like you' is also most commonly used in a romantic way. 'Ik vind dit bericht leuk' would most likely be translated to 'I like this message' or possibly into 'I think this message is nice' or something. For comical it would probably be something like 'grappig'.

I completely agree with you. When I first saw the Dutch FB translation it looked a bit 'weird'... but this is the case in more instances on the internet when a beautiful English verb get's translated into Dirty Dutch
eek.png
. But actually when you think about it indeed, not so much is wrong with this particular translation. I mean, how else would you translate it?

Top Bottom