1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dutch FB 'like' translation: I'm attracted to this member!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alfa1, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

The FB translation for 'like' / 'I like this' gives a whole new dimension to the forum experience.

This is where the fun begins. I'm not sure how good the translations in other languages are but in Dutch its really messy.
    The FB translation for 'Like' is 'Vind ik leuk' which can be interpreted in two ways:

'I'm attracted to this (person)'
    OR
    'This is funny'

2. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a fb issue, not a xenforo one?

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's correct.

Any FB related iFrame content is controlled by FB.

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed.

*Alfa1 hits the like button :D

Mikey likes this.
  5. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

I am attracted to everyone in this topic.

EDIT: In a platonic and totally non-creepy way. I swear!

Rigel Kentaurus and Alfa1 like this.
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I have to admit, that is fairly amusing (so, uhh, vind ik leuk! :)). But indeed, this is the text from Facebook. I believe their translations are crowdsourced, so you might be able to help improve them.

erich37 likes this.
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

It is amusing. But after seeing it a lot, for a Dutch user its reason to quickly switch to English or try to turn like features off completely.
    Its why I avoid connecting my facebook account with other sites.

8. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

You should create a dating forum :D

erich37 likes this.
  9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it would work great on that!

10. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

I noticed this too :D

Well, you can always go change it at facebook :)

11. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Actually, this isn't entirely true. 'I'm attracted to' is translated as 'ik voel me aangetrokken tot'. 'ik vind dit leuk' is, in my opinion, a decent translation. You can also like football, friends, and a postcard.. and it's the same in dutch with 'ik vind leuk'.

So yeah. :p

12. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Don't be difficult :D

13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

'Vind ik leuk' is the exact wording used by facebook. If I apply that to you then its 'Ik vind jou leuk' (relating to attraction or romantic meaning). If I apply it to your post then its 'ik vind dit bericht leuk' (I find this post comical)

14. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

'I like you' is also most commonly used in a romantic way. 'Ik vind dit bericht leuk' would most likely be translated to 'I like this message' or possibly into 'I think this message is nice' or something. For comical it would probably be something like 'grappig'.

Ah well, who cares really, we all know translations usually aren't nearly as good as the original.

15. twollert

twollert Active Member

BTW: Where can I change the language? I can't find it...

16. Scott

Scott Active Member

I'll look into getting this sorted.

17. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you. When I first saw the Dutch FB translation it looked a bit 'weird'... but this is the case in more instances on the internet when a beautiful English verb get's translated into Dirty Dutch [​IMG]. But actually when you think about it indeed, not so much is wrong with this particular translation. I mean, how else would you translate it?

18. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem, there just isn't a better translation, and I think this one works.

Grover likes this.