Drivetribe, like Facebook groups, only better!

JamesBrown

lots of forums are now dead and it's Facebook groups holding the smoking gun. But has anyone here joined Drivetribe yet? Join up and spend a bit of time there, it's slick. I do fear for the traditional forums' future.

Last edited:
I don't think that is what Forums will become. Forums will forever be forums, look at xF2 its a forum just as we know them. However Social groups like that one and Facebooks will kill even more forums. And if those groups ever take on some forum like features in the way they present and archive information then I think the traditional forum will really struggle to compete.

It's weird, on two small forums I frequent in 2 days I've seen thread where members are trying to setup their own private groups for forum members in phone chat apps.

What'sApp, Signal and Facebook Groups all discussed.

Such a low barrier for entry these days for setting up small social groups like that. Definitely taking away traffic from some forums.

In my niche I know at least four forums where the corresponding facebook group has all the traffic and the forums none. One forum went from a tiny base and ended up with over 20,000 members in a facebook group and the forum is no more.

In my niche I know at least four forums where the corresponding facebook group has all the traffic and the forums none. One forum went from a tiny base and ended up with over 20,000 members in a facebook group and the forum is no more.

It is working out just the opp for me.. I'm involved in several sport trash talk groups on FB.. After a lot of discussion, we will be moving the groups into xenforo once I finish writing xenforo into a Facebook app. Many are very excited for it, some well known posters from the groups are helping beta test and throw ideas at me and our Facebook page for the site already has over 1,200 likes in just the few weeks it's been up to give updates about the project. Facebook has changed a lot, lot of changes people dislike, like being forced to use your real name now rather then just anything you want. More and more posts are getting reported and and more deleted by Facebook along with people receiving 3-30 day bans from said reports. You just need to think outside the box on how to compete against Facebook.. Sure a out of the box cookie cutter forum won't succeed, but if you use some imagination to be unique on your community features, it's far from a dead game.

My main forums are old (in internet years) all in a small niche, one has been going 10 years and is doing very well, a million posts in the the last two years, I have some 8 years olds and 6. not as busy as the big one but they are all very well established and growing not shrinking. A couple have their own facebook group. They all have a well defined niche and a strong identity and as long as I nurse them I don't worry about losing members. While they are all growing, I think maybe they would be bigger without facebook groups. That said, without those facebook groups there would be more forums, so maybe those groups do me a favour and keep the forum competition weak.

It is working out just the opp for me.. I'm involved in several sport trash talk groups on FB.. After a lot of discussion, we will be moving the groups into xenforo once I finish writing xenforo into a Facebook app. Many are very excited for it, some well known posters from the groups are helping beta test and throw ideas at me and our Facebook page for the site already has over 1,200 likes in just the few weeks it's been up to give updates about the project. Facebook has changed a lot, lot of changes people dislike, like being forced to use your real name now rather then just anything you want. More and more posts are getting reported and and more deleted by Facebook along with people receiving 3-30 day bans from said reports. You just need to think outside the box on how to compete against Facebook.. Sure a out of the box cookie cutter forum won't succeed, but if you use some imagination to be unique on your community features, it's far from a dead game.

It will certainly be interesting to see how your App does (y)

It will certainly be interesting to see how your App does (y)

Still very WIP but...

facebook4.webp

Top Bottom