XF 1.4 Downgraded Members Keep Benefits of Paid Membership

System0

Last year I raised the issue of registered members still being able to display a signature; despite the fact it my permissions are set up so that only premium members (i.e. paying members) should only have this option.

This issue still prevails in Xenforo, but I worked around it by using a conditional in the message template that only displays signatures if they are from a particular user group.

Today I found another user permission with registered members that used to pay for a premium membership. The member was able to send me a private message. The private messaging system is completely disabled for registered members, but the member was able to message me because they had previously upgraded their account.

However, despite downgrading their account, they can still use the private messaging system. This is despite the fact they belong to a user group that does not permit this.

What is causing this?

Clearly, member upgrades should not be active if the member downgrades. I have tested permissions using a test account and despite the test account not being eligible to send messages, the account is able to do so because they used to belong to a user group that allowed.

Kevin

Yes they replied to an existing conversation.

But why would they still be able to use the messaging system if permissions deny it? Is this by design?

I appreciate that, but it is still a big hole in the upgrade system. Private messaging is one of the main ways to encourage people to upgrade. As it stands, someone who downgrades could continue to have personal conversations with members they had contacted previously for as long as they want; despite the fact they are not paying for that feature.

This could potentially be a problem for me personally as I provide a lot of support via the messaging system, therefore people could continue to send me support queries.

You should make a suggestion in the suggestions forum, :) A permission to Reply to conversations would be beneficial over-all, especially for Admins who maybe want to give a "verbal warning" in private or to explain a rule, or to send a welcome email and not have their in-boxes filled with replies to them all. It would compliment the option to Lock a conversation nicely.

You should make a suggestion in the suggestions forum, :) A permission to Reply to conversations would be beneficial over-all, especially for Admins who maybe want to give a "verbal warning" in private or to explain a rule, or to send a welcome email and not have their in-boxes filled with replies to them all. It would compliment the option to Lock a conversation nicely.

Nice idea. I agree. I have always been reluctant to set up a welcome message with forums because every day my inbox was inundated with replies. And these inevitable lead to long discussions that drain my time.

Nice idea. I agree. I have always been reluctant to set up a welcome message with forums because every day my inbox was inundated with replies. And these inevitable lead to long discussions that drain my time.
You can use the new welcome message in 1.5 without this issue.

A conversation will be started by the named user with each of the users matching the criteria. To avoid your Inbox being filled with many conversations, you can choose to leave the conversation as soon as it is sent.

XF 1.5 - User messaging improvements and welcome contact

Top Bottom