XF 1.1 Downgrade Add-On?

Thee

Hello everyone,

I recently updated XenPorta (again) and we are now facing issues.

I'd like to downgrade XenPorta to an older version, but the admin CP doesn't allow me to do as a newer version is installed. Any suggestions how to do this (as easy as possible) without losing configurations made?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I recently updated XenPorta (again) and we are now facing issues.

I'd like to downgrade XenPorta to an older version, but the admin CP doesn't allow me to do as a newer version is installed. Any suggestions how to do this (as easy as possible) without losing configurations made?

Thanks!

Add ons can't be downgraded. It won't be possible as far as I know.

You could just upload the old files, but that would mean all the latest version templates will remain... therefore there could be functionality that you can see, which isn't actually functioning.

It depends what your issues are though. If you're getting error messages, replacing the files might fix that.

Do this:
  • Download the version you want: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.90/history
  • Upload all of the files (but don't import the XML)
  • Is the situation now better than it was?
    • If so, potentially problem solved.
    • If not, reupload the files from the latest version.
  • If that doesn't resolve your issues, you will need to uninstall, potentially lose your settings and reinstall

If you don't want to lose your changes

• Set up a local test environment.
  • Turn on development mode
  • Install the version you want to use on your board (1.5.6, build XX?)
  • In the ACP, release your own version
1) Home >> Development >> Addons >> Edit Addon
2) Change the version ID so it is higher/the same as your installed version... I recommend using the same version id and appending your initials to the version string (1.5.6AB, build XX?).. This way, you shouldn't have issues when attemptig to upgrade again
3) Controls >> Export
  • You have now exported the XML of the add-on you want to use, and it has a higher/same version than your current installed Addon
  • Now use your version to upgrade
Alternatively...
Edit the XML for the plugin version you want to roll back to.
Change the version number to your current installed version number:
version_id="XX"
Re-install that version, using that version files and the XML you have editied
<= This is effectively the short way around of the 1st method

Alternatively2...
As Chris mentioned, if there are no template/database changes, you're probably okay to just replace the files without "upgrading" (in some circumstances you can ask the developer if there are any DB / template changes .... )

If you don't want to lose your changes

• Set up a local test environment.
  • Turn on development mode
  • Install the version you want to use on your board (1.5.6, build XX?)
  • In the ACP, release your own version
1) Home >> Development >> Addons >> Edit Addon
2) Change the version ID so it is higher/the same as your installed version... I recommend using the same version id and appending your initials to the version string (1.5.6AB, build XX?).. This way, you shouldn't have issues when attemptig to upgrade again
3) Controls >> Export
  • You have now exported the XML of the add-on you want to use, and it has a higher/same version than your current installed Addon
  • Now use your version to upgrade
Alternatively...
Edit the XML for the plugin version you want to roll back to.
Change the version number to your current installed version number:

Re-install that version, using that version files and the XML you have editied
<= This is effectively the short way around of the 1st method

Alternatively2...
As Chris mentioned, if there are no template/database changes, you're probably okay to just replace the files without "upgrading" (in some circumstances you can ask the developer if there are any DB / template changes .... )

Very interesting. What happens if things are changed in the database? I always assumed that installing an addon would add/remove/alter tables and that was done during installation. If that's the case I don't understand how that'd work as say for example if an upgrad added a column, you'd need to tell your "downgrade" to remove that column. Or does the addon just say "this is what the database table should look like now" with no reference to what it used to be?

It will depend on the database changes.... The above is a method that could work, but it depends on the changes that have been made.

It might also depend a lot on the install file (some install files look for versions, so that could cause havoc)

If there is a new table... then then downgrading by altering the XML is not going to have any impact, it will work fine
Additional columns may/may not cause a problems

Just look at the install file.. if there are additional columns, you may need to drop them
You'll basically be reverse engineering to keep your changes/settings... if you don't like playing with the DB, it might just be easier to reinstall and start from scratch?

But if they are basic changes (changes to the files and templates), then "hacking" the version id in the XML should work

Thank you guys for the support! I didn't check back after the first reply, so sorry for being late with this. I simply uploaded the files in a "what the heck" mood and it worked fine afterwards.

Top Bottom