Server issue Double Posts

a legacy reborn

This has been happening on several different sites that I admin. Different servers so that is not the issue...I think different browsers, alot of users double post as well as other admins. It is becoming increasingly frustrating having to have staff remove double posts, I think that in most situations the Reply button is clicked multiple times, could this be what is causing this? Either way had to report it...please feel free to yell if this has already been reported :D

Double posting is sometimes related to the connection between the poster and the server, or it could just be the server having issues.

Could we not add a feature that if a double post occurs within 'X' amount of time it edits and adds to the previous post of the OP?

I wouldn't add it as default feature. I don't want XenForo with too much default plugins.
There is an add-on for what you wanna do: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfb5-xfr-merge-double-user-post-v-1-2-0-en_ru.6264/

I'm also going for Not a Bug, Server Issue. But it's up to Mike (or Kier) though to decide to dig deeper or leave it :)

Can you explain exactly what happens when you see this? Is it a double click? What are the exact time stamps of the duplicate messages? If they're significantly separated, it's likely because the server didn't return the response indicating the message went through, so the user clicked again. There's a duplicate in terms of content, but it's outside the flood check and involved the user clicking at distinct times, so it's not totally what I'd be targeting with "double posts".

Can you explain exactly what happens when you see this? Is it a double click? What are the exact time stamps of the duplicate messages? If they're significantly separated, it's likely because the server didn't return the response indicating the message went through, so the user clicked again. There's a duplicate in terms of content, but it's outside the flood check and involved the user clicking at distinct times, so it's not totally what I'd be targeting with "double posts".
Mike, I would click one time and both posts appeared instantly, one on top of the other. I've noticed it happening in the BB Code as well, Getting double quotes on each side or double image tags, etc. Next time it happens, I'll grab a screenshot.

Liz

I'd probably need a video of that TBH...
My problem is 1) I don't know how to do that unless I use my iPhone and 2) I never know when it will happen until it has. And sitting here with iPhone running to try and catch it...LOL, not sure you would see anything as it would end up very blurry from my tremors.

Maybe someone else who has had it happen can catch it that way.

Liz

It does indeed occur at random times. The timestamps usually say the same time, I will try to get a video of it but I'm not all that great when it comes to videos nor am I certain that I can get a double post when trying.

A server move fixed mine in the end, I suspected our old box was getting a hammering and when renewal time came up I upgraded to a multicore box with 4gb RAM :)

Happens to me on occasion with identical timestamps, here's a very recent one [1309382039] but in Conversations, not forum posts.
No real hassle, I just go back and edit it as "dupe post/ignore" as we can't delete conversation posts yet.
Shared hosting on a not-so-busy forum [Online now: 14 (members: 9, guests: 5)]. Server didn't "seem" to be straining either.
Just thought I'd add this report to the pot. (y)
Anything else you need to know, please ask away.

Top Bottom