Votes: 2 11.1%
  • $101-$250

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • $251-$500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500+

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Not everyone wants something for nothing. We've released nearly 250 add-ons thanks to the generosity of some members of this community who have been willing to pay and have that add-on made available for others to use.

Admittedly, probably about 95% of the people who use our add-ons should be making a donation of some kind and aren't. We provide commercial licenses to anyone who makes a donation of any amount to give people peace of mind that they are not breaking the law by using our add-ons (and because we'd rather people donate something then feel that they have to uninstall our add-ons), but then we still get the same people who have never paid a penny demanding support and for their opinion to be taken into account.

Fortunately there are enough generous people in this community to keep us going! As I've mentioned before, the contribution doesn't always have to be financial and there are a number of members who make massive contributions in other ways (including the two people who have just posted before me).

As a Christian, I am to constantly remind myself of the massive sacrifice that was made for me that I didn't deserve, so it is not for me to judge!

Admittedly, probably about 95% of the people who use our add-ons should be making a donation of some kind and aren't.
Well you don't exactly operate on a donations only basis. Perhaps, but doubtful, people would be more inclined to donate if you did not charge for every little feature request.
Your system ensures you get paid for working on your add-ons. Sure, the few who are generous or desperate enough end up paying for the rest of your user base, but its not like most of your add-ons were created for free in the hopes that someone will donate to you if they use it.
You are running a business through your donation "foundation". You are not creating add-ons for fun and collecting the odd donation to help support your hobby.

Many like your business system/structure and it works for you which is great, but I don't see most of your add-ons as free in the sense that you donated your time to make them and support them.
It would be the equivalent of me getting paid to create Conversation Essentials, charging for new features, and then expect to be given donations because it is distributed for free.

As a Christian, I am to constantly remind myself of the massive sacrifice that was made for me that I didn't deserve, so it is not for me to judge!
:D oh the guilt.

@Syndol, perhaps you would like to state your own opinion rather than make incorrect statements about mine.

Well you don't exactly operate on a donations only basis.
All our add-ons are available on a donations only basis.

Perhaps, but doubtful, people would be more inclined to donate if you did not charge for every little feature request.
I am not talking about people who have paid for feature requests. I am referring to people who have never paid for anything.

Your system ensures you get paid for working on your add-ons.
Yes, but it doesn't pay for maintaining them, yet there is still an expectation on me to do so.

Sure, the few who are generous or desperate enough end up paying for the rest of your user base, but its not like most of your add-ons were created for free in the hopes that someone will donate to you if they use it.
A 50% discount is given to those who are generous enough. This means that there is a hope that some benefit will come out of it.

You are running a business through your donation "foundation".
No, the foundation is currently being dissolved. We are a full limited company.

You are not creating add-ons for fun and collecting the odd donation to help support your hobby.
So because I am a business it is right that people steal from me?

Many like your business system/structure and it works for you which is great, but I don't see most of your add-ons as free in the sense that you donated your time to make them and support them.
I do give my time to support them and rely on donations to cover that cost.

It would be the equivalent of me getting paid to create Conversation Essentials, charging for new features, and then expect to be given donations because it is distributed for free.
No it wouldn't.

:D oh the guilt.
No guilt.
'Then the master called the servant in. "You wicked servant," he said, "I cancelled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?"' Matthew 18:32-22

Some, very few, people donate. 99% don't, but use the free add-on anyway.

I see a future were all professionally coded add-ons won't be free. It it would be right.
Leaving just the add-ons from people who are coding for fun for free. And this would also be right.

I, personally, feel much better if I can pay for an add-on. This is e.g. why we never used a Waindigo add-on until now. But are happy customers of Syndols, Brogans, Chris and several others paid add-ons.

I have donated for a couple of addons, and I mention it in the discussion thread just in case it inspires a few other people to do the same.

however I imagine the income is small. On one of my sites I give away PDF files and software and mention people can feel free to donate. Although I get a lot of good feedback, very little is donated.

A lot of people want (and expect) something for nothing.

On one site I say that in return for the free stuff, all I ask is that they give permission to be on my mailing list (optoutable), so the download asks for an email address.

I always chuckle at the number of people who try using a bogus email address, only to find they don't get the PDF, as the link is sent via email.

Well, as for me, I prefer reviews than donations. As I don't expect much from my free add-ons, else would've made them paid :P
But yes, asking for feature and support and not showing any kind of appreciation after doing my part is kinda... what should I say... disappointing?

Well, as for me, I prefer reviews than donations. As I don't expect much from my free add-ons, else would've made them paid :p
But yes, asking for feature and support and not showing any kind of appreciation after doing my part is kinda... what should I say... disappointing?
Well said; Couldn't agree more.

I made generous donations for the add-ons I used, in one case more than the cost of the subsequently later released 'pro' version.

I'm still using the 'free' version :D

It's also the only third party add-on I use now (other than Chris' live update).

I have bought quite a large number of paid Addons, in most cases even though I don't use it, simply to have a play and most importantly support those devs.

I agree with syndol regarding the christian foundation company that creates a large number of Addons. In most of those Addons the Addons produced are extremely limited and any suggestions are met with " start a conversation with me" with the answer being 65 GBP per hour for extra dev work "with profits going into my christian fund". Not knocking your work waindigo as you do create some cool stuff but I would rather pay you for any Addons I use of yours to actually get decent support and updates rather than be told the 65 GBP per hour for any additional work each and every time. And not being anti christian here or anything I personally would much rather support a Dev without them going on about their own religous beliefs...

There are seriously some fantastic devs on here. Xfrocks, Bob, chris d amongst the few whose work I just love and would pretty much purchase anything they put out to help support them so they can keep bringing out some really cool stuff.

I have also donated not to just devs but posters on here who have been kind to give me some answers to tech queries. Long may this great community grow (hopefully without all the religious blabberings).

I've made donations for some add-ons. I also donate my time in beta testing some too (though I see that more as mutually beneficial than donating my time, so I don't really count it).

Maybe it's selfish but I don't donate to every add-on. What I do look at is the support and effort that the author puts into the add-on and how much I value it and base my donations on that. I will be donating to some more add-ons in 2015 now I'm in a better financial position.

I've never donated to any add-on developers before.

But i've bought serveral add-ons. Most of them around the 3-10 usd dollars except for 2 big ones from ******* and Chris. But they weren't more than 50 usd dollars.

I see add-ons as temporary until xenforo offically adds the feature. So that's why i don't see the point of paying lots of money for add-ons and also my forum is just a hobby to pass time and learning computer stuff so i don't want to be spending hundreds of usd dollars every month on my hobby.

The only place i don't mind paying a small yearly fee is with xenforo because i have faith they will keep developing it and it's an established company.

I'm not sure about the developers situation if they make add-ons as a hobby or it is their living. But i don't mind paying a couple dollars for add-ons.

If i was a developer and doing it for fun. I would possibily start out by giving the add-ons for free.

If i was doing it for a living i think i would start my own forum company to compete against xenforo or try to join xenforo. ^ ^

But i am thankful that many developers give out their add-ons for free as i remember when i first started 7 years ago with phpbb and vbulletin i didn't have a lot of money to spend in fact 5 dollars was too much as i was just a student. .

In conclusion I prefer to pay a couple dollars for an add-on than to donate..

Last edited:
I have removed the last few posts as they were more or less attacking one particular developer and their approach to developing and releasing add-ons.
If you have issues with any developer then take your concerns up with them personally, or, if it is related to a particular add-on, post on the thread.

This thread is to get feedback from resource authors as to whether they get any donations for the (free) add-ons they release and conversely, comments and opinion from end users as to why they do or don't donate.

I bought several addons. Most of the times addionally the branding free licence as I dont like hundrets of copyrights and feel like this additional income helps the developer. So a win-win. And if it happens that a free addon is excellent, i do donate. Mostly 10-20$, but still something.

So devs : Pleaso go for paid addons or fair branding free licenses.

Top Bottom