1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain Name question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tracy Perry, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Would a domain of anothercamera.com get the idea across of a photography/camera related site? I know that when I get to looking at them, all my wife says is "Why do you want another camera". ;)
    Sound like a good domain name?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Gazhyde

Gazhyde Well-Known Member

Maybe anothercameraforum.com would be more explanatory...

3. Tracy Perry

To long tho'.... and it may not be just a "forum". I'm debating on using xenForo and one of the gallery add-ons or just going with a CMS setup with a forum add-on.

4. Gazhyde

Gazhyde Well-Known Member

camera-pedia.com is available. Not sure if you mind hyphens though, as someone has already snagged it without!

5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

How about cameraderie.net - the friendly camera community? :)

0ptima, DRE and Tracy Perry like this.
  6. I actually like the domain name! I personally think it'd be for a camera company releasing a camera or something related to that but I can see where you were coming from and it might work.

7. Tracy Perry

I just tagged wetalkcameras.com also. Will have to decide which I want to use - heck, at only $10.89 to register I can afford to go a little wild. :p
    Well, i did go a "little" wild. Since I'm getting into telescopes also, I registered celestialpics.com, darksyview.com and darkskywatch.com. Think I'm going to go with something like CopperMine gallery for the celestialpics.com site. Now time to save up the pennies for 3 more copies of xenForo.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. Tracy Perry

Prefer the .COM extensions when I can get them - even though .NET or .ORG are both valid also. Most people STILL associate .COM with internet addresses.

9. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

That sounds really catchy.

10. Tracy Perry

It does... but cameraderie.com is linked back to baicapture.com with BAIcapture - a photo booth setup based in the Philippines and Singapore. Good tie in - but wrong targeted locale in case someone accidentally uses the .com extension.

11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

www.ign.com
    www.ign.net

12. Tracy Perry

And if someone was just wanting to go to the golfing one and they were not net savvy - they'd normally put the .COM extension on there and then hit some of MY favorite games. :D

I'm just partial to the .COM extension since people (for whatever reason) associate it with an internet address.(n)
    I did grab the .ORG/.NET/.US extensions I use on my Apple site.. but now that I'm sitting at 18+ domains already this is getting to be an expensive hobby.

13. Tracy Perry

Dang, I forgot how bottom-backwards myBB was. I am in the process of setting it up for my http://darkskywatch.com forum. I guess I've gotten to used to the ease of xenForo! :whistle:
    Now if i could get that star gazing @Shelley and her "like minded" star gazing aficionado's to get it off the ground. ;)

14. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: "Friendly" camera community? I am disappointed. Why not WARRIORKamera.com? A Kamera Community for Klingons?

:whistle:

15. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Heck, if he going to have a gallery on it he could go with WarriorShots.com then! :D

16. Tracy Perry

How about cameraspeak.com?

On a related note, the astronomy one finally got pre-finished. Now I just got to go back and re-learn how myBB is styled out.
    Also have to work on the logo a little more
    darksky.png

17. intradox

intradox Well-Known Member

Here are just a few ideas:

JjustCameras.net
    ChatCameras.net
    CameraFocus.com/net
    CameraClarity.net
    DisqusCameras.com/net
    DiscussCameras.com/net
    CameraAuthority.net
    Cameras101.net/com
    Cameras.travel (travel oriented cameras??)
    LearnCameras.net
    CameraXpert.com/net
    CamXpert.net
    TalkCameras.net/com
    LensChat.net
    PointAndShoot.org

Cameras.pe ($50/yr)

18. Nudaii

Nudaii Well-Known Member

I once styled a mybb to look and act just like a xenforo.. but them i was like .. gah.. this is too much hassle and just bought another xenforo XD

19. Tracy Perry

Yeah - it's a real hassle to style compared to xenForo. Only thing is, since I don't know how well they will do I don't want to drop another $300+ for licenses on forums that may not take off - especially considering that for me, it's just a hobby. I already have 3 licenses. It will be easier (now that there is an importer for it) just to use myBB to start out with. No way am I going to use phpBB - went through THAT nightmare when I first started playing with forums. There ARE several things I like about myBB that I wish xenForo would implement:
    • Built in DB backup routines
    • Order forums from the main view in the ACP (even better would be how phpBB does it)
    • Optimize DB from the ACP
    • Multi-Quote capability
    • Ability to add in spiders/bots from ACP
    Those are the main ones I like.

Nudaii likes this.
  20. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

I like it.