XF 2.2 Does XF has a "new posts rss feed" to present to IFTTT for example?

Black Tiger

I can't imagine Xen does not have this yet, but maybe I'm missing it because I read somewhere there is something like that.

I need an RSS feed to use with IFTTT. So guest should be able to visit this. I don't mind if it's a hidden url.

My other software can create feeds from about anything, even select yourself from which forums you do want to have new posts imported in the feed or not. Easy way to exclude chat forums.

I need something like this build in, even if it's limited, but where can I find this.

Solution
search forum is a 2.2 feature. if you have 2.2 you can create it already. it is a node type. you can create one right from where you create a new forum on your xenforo installation!
I've seen that, but it looks very different then the one I used for IFTTT before. I hope that works.

Thank you, hopefully Xenforo will create custom RSS feeds soon. Very usefull for autoposting.

one of the xenforo devs did post a cool hack to create a rss feed for specific forums. create a search forum out of them and use the rss feed of search forum.

xenforo feed is fine. but it outputs latest updated threads not latest posts.

search forum is a 2.2 feature. if you have 2.2 you can create it already. it is a node type. you can create one right from where you create a new forum on your xenforo installation!

Solution
Ahyeah, that would be an option since such forum could be set hidden, but visible to guest if url is know, so I could post that to IFTTT I hope.
If it's possible with this to also pickup new reply's to a thread, so I can use that with IFTTT to autopost on Twitter and FB, that would be great.

I will look into that, thank you!

yahoo pipes was able to do this iirc. basically you need something in the middle that can modify urls in rss feed and add latest at the end. it would then point to the latest post in that thread. i haven't found a hack for this. you could potentially edit the rss related template files to get this done but that would generate errors in the admin backend.

basically https://xenforo.com/community/threads/does-xf-has-a-new-posts-rss-feed-to-present-to-ifttt-for-example.189974/latest this link would always point to the latest post in this thread.

Just append -index.rss to a forum URL to get the RSS feed.
Yes, but I would need 1 RSS feed containing all selected forums with new posts, not xx different .rss files.
On the competition software it just generated 1 .xml file containing all new threads and posts.
I can see tomorrow if this also works with the .rss file.

you could potentially edit the rss related template files to get this done but that would generate errors in the admin backend.
I rather don't mess with template files if possible, also because I'm not good at that.

Seems nice AndyB thanks for the tip, but I doubt if that would post reply's too. Unfortunately a bit too expensive for my use at this moment, I only have a little forum.
IPB has various rss and custom rss by default for years so I was a bit wondered and dissapointed that nothing like this existed in Xen yet.

andy's suite has more than 100 addons though. just wanted to mention this :) he has a lot of small addons that helps a lot even for a small owner. do go through that list.

rss limitations annoyed me too in early days when i moved from ipb. but in the end, rss has more or less disappeared from the tech scene in recent years after the demise of google reader app. so it seems unlikely that xf would see any new developments in this segment.

look at andy's addon suite and see if it is worth the price for your project. if it is, ping him if he would be able to customize the feed addon as per your requirement. your requirement for links to latest post is quite simple as it just needs small modification to the url structure. should not be a complicated update for that addon.

he has a lot of small addons that helps a lot even for a small owner. do go through that list.
Yep, he and some others indeed. I was already looking. I don't mind him mentioning this at all.
I just want to setup my forums first so everything works great before I start using addons anyway. I still have to import another forum into this one, because we're going to merge with another forum. To prevent errors, as less addons as possible for the time being.
But he made some great ones I've already seen. ;)

Oh nice to hear you also moved from ipb. You're quite right that rss has more or less gotten lost a bit, for us it was nice because we have a satellite forum and some forums share new feeds via rss which came in handy. And for my forum especially nice to post on FB and Twitter with it. Just to keep us known a bit since we are very small nowadays.
It seems the current build in option can do this too, I've seen new post on Twitter and FB today and especially on FB it looks way better than before. Now I got layout, I did have that before only on Twitter.

So to me this questions has been solved. I don't mind anymore if not every reply is posted too. The only downside is that I can't select which forums are put on FB and Twitter, but that's not a big deal. :)

My requirement is just small, but not big enough for the price of the addon. However, the good news is that after the import of the second forum, I've now saved this money and can buy another addon which I might need a lot more. And probably also from Andy.

As for expensive, I was only talking in my specific sitution for my special use of not big importance. I was not speaking that the price would be expensive generally speaking.
Sorry if I might have given that impression.

how are you posting on fb and twitter?
have you looked at search forums? you can easily create a bunch of them based on what forums you want to be shared on what platform? would take a bit of time initially but you would have customized rss feed for individual groups of forums that can be used anywhere.

how are you posting on fb and twitter?
At this moment I'm using the exising feed at the right below bottom of the forum and presenting that url to IFTTT. Works like a charm.

I am going to look at the suggestion you made in #6, but first I have to finish al configuration and settings so my forum works fine again like I want it. Lot's of work to do because I just converted.
So I will remember your tip on that, no worries. :) Thanks!

@Chromaniac Out of curiosity I started creating a search forum. Seems I managed.
However, I'm wondering how this works? Will new threads automatically get into that forum?
If yes, do I have to delete them afterwards manually?

And how do I create an RSS for that node to be used with IFTTT? Because without one, it won't work.

just add index.rss to the end of the search forum url. for example this is the rss feed of a search forum i have.

https://broadbandforum.co/search-forums/433/index.rss

this is not a typical forum. it is more of a cached search result. so you do not add or remove threads from it. it shows the threads based on your criteria and gets updated based on the criteria. all the settings are right where you manage the search-forum in the backend.

Ah, I didn't know it was that easy to create rss from an ode. However your looks better. Mine starts with this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
  <channel>
    <title>Search</title>
    <description>Search</description>
which is all from the search forum itself. And does not have any content yet. I presume I have to wait until there are a few new posts.

Yours starts right away with content after the first 2 lines.

I didn't put in any criteria anywhere. Just gave it a name, include selected forums to be searched and for "thread creator in user groups" I ticked "Registered" since everybody who can post is basically a registered user anyway.

I did not put any restrictions in hours or days or whatever.

Did I miss anything?

Top Bottom