Does XenForo work on iPad/Android tablets?

BGL

The editor toolbar doesn't work but otherwise on the native Safari browser I have no issues (you can still use BBCode for formatting [if you know it?] ;) ).

Presumably at some point XF will get its own native mobile device support and will auto-switch when detecting one. :D

If rich text editing functions are important there's also a couple of add-ons which work well with iPhone and iPad including Mark It Up editor (paid) and Miniorin (free)

I personally use tapatalk and forumrunner, however it works well on safari too

Haven't used TapaTalk on an iPad (Winter Wong didn't make the ForumCon.com presentation...one of the main reasons I went). Does the message editor bar work on TapaTalk on the iPad?

On Safari, you mean XenForo works fine on the iOS verison of Safari?

One of the stats at the ForumCom.con was that the large forum operators were seeing their mobile device access jump from 10% to current 40% and expect it to go higher, some were saying 90%+ as the tablets further cannibalize PC sales.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/markitup-integrator.696/

I always search with Google. My fault though I should have typed it as "MarkItUp".

Thanks. This is a bit different as it is kind of a way to turn off the nice slick editor or add a text editor if missing. User experience on an iPad needs to match what they'd see on a PC/Mac.

Does TapaTalk allow use of the editor bar?

I can see I'm going to have buy an iPad to see how forum software works there.

I'm perfectly happy using the site on my iPad2. I've got TapaTalk installed, but use Safari 99.9% of the time.

Also, with regards to the wysiwyg editor, we were previously on phpbb, so most members know how to manually add the bbcode tags if required when using their iPads.

EDIT: I've also been able to get the iPad to display the Ubuntu font we use on the forum using webfonts, which means there is no visual difference for people using iPads

Also, with regards to the wysiwyg editor, we were previously on phpbb, so most members know how to manually add the bbcode tags if required when using their iPads.

Different membership, they want the full Mac experience. To them, "bbcode" means we don't shoot the family pets with the air rifle. They'll expect uniformity and ease of use.

This is a great excuse to get a iPad so off to the Apple store tomorrow. If Tapatalk makes XF fully functional on the iPad, I can live with that though members will gripe about the $2 and having to get out of Safari.

Tapatalk is definitely not the same user experience as it is on the web in a browser. It is a completely different experience, in fact.

Some people may prefer it because it is an experience designed for mobile, on the iPad and iPhone it allows you to do photo uploads direct from the device etc. It's good if you participate in a lot of forums as it adds them all in one place.

But there is still no wysiwyg editor, you cannot customise how your site looks through Tapatalk (every forum accessed through Tapatalk is identical) this means you can't serve ads through it.

But there is still no wysiwyg editor, you cannot customise how your site looks through Tapatalk (every forum accessed through Tapatalk is identical) this means you can't serve ads through it.

Ah...thanks. That would be cranky iPad users probably. Tapatalk limiting features on the iPhone is good due the extreme limits of screen size. On the iPad, the forum software needs to work the same as on a pc. I wonder if ForumRunner has the same issues? Definitely going to have to look at this feature more. IPBoards seems the most advanced on iP adaptation.

I'm perfectly happy using the site on my iPad2. I've got TapaTalk installed, but use Safari 99.9% of the time.

Just got an iPad (for research of course). And Xenforo is OK via Safari. Didn't miss the editor bar just doing replies like this but links, quotes, etc. XenForo does need to be able to detect and display identical user interface for IOS devices. Hope this is in the works.

Just got an iPad (for research of course). And Xenforo is OK via Safari. Didn't miss the editor bar just doing replies like this but links, quotes, etc. XenForo does need to be able to detect and display identical user interface for IOS devices. Hope this is in the works.
I'm pretty sure as soon as Kier and Mike can, they'll develop something to please this part of the market, I'm sure they are well aware that mobile is a big big part of the future on the internet.

I'm pretty sure as soon as Kier and Mike can, they'll develop something to please this part of the market, I'm sure they are well aware that mobile is a big big part of the future on the internet.

I've asked on the TapaTalk forum if this is something that Tapatalk can provide for XenForo forums. IPB mentioned they are going after this big time, hired a bunch of IOS people and had the product ready to go. They were charging users $4 for the app which doesn't seem right way to go. I guess they are trying to get in on ForumRunner and Tapatalk biz model. Just doesn't seem right to charge people to be able to make your product work on their devices. Should be a part of the product. The previously had an auto detect and a decent app that made using their forums via mobile easy and free. Not sure why they went away from that but they are making sure that IPB forums are going to be mobile accessible and that's the key.

That is a problem for XenForo unless Tapatalk can help them. IPB has mobile covered. I get a gallery. One IPB vendor makes a XenForo skin. If we had some feedback from XenForo on where they are going with mobile, it would be a big help deciding what software to bet to build with.

I can tell you from experience that it does not work entirely on a Blackberry tablet (Playbook). When you do a search for new threads, Xenforo URLs append the thread with #post-123456 which causes a Xenforo error to be returned "Error - Invalid page requested". It does that for me on my forums and the Xenforo forums. But if you take off the # and everything past it from the URL, it works perfectly. Everything else works fine on the blackberry browser for Playbook.

Top Bottom