Does XenForo 2 support MySQL 8 ?

Jean-Baptiste

Hello,

I heard that MySQL 8 is 2x faster than MySQL 5.7, have anyone experienced that on XenForo ?
Is that true ?

And is XenForo compatible with MySQL 8 ?

Best regards,
Jean-Baptiste

I recently migrated some of my sites to a new server that was built using MySQL 8 - no issues other than needing to change the password scheme to mysql_native_password for database users, having to deal with binlog growth filling up the disk and the fact that the default size for max_allowed_packet on v8 is 64M which means that your per-thread memory usage is huge out of the box!

Haven't done any benchmarking to see how it compares to 5.7 performance-wise.

I recently migrated some of my sites to a new server that was built using MySQL 8 - no issues other than needing to change the password scheme to mysql_native_password for database users, having to deal with binlog growth filling up the disk and the fact that the default size for max_allowed_packet on v8 is 64M which means that your per-thread memory usage is huge out of the box!

Thank you! Sounds like I'll be holding off for now. :p

Thank you! Sounds like I'll be holding off for now. :p

It's not really a big deal - just have to learn about how the settings have changed for v8 - this is a major upgrade so there's always going to be a few things to learn.

Build a test machine running MySQL8 and set up a test copy of your website on it - see what happens.

Binary logging is the only real gotcha - since I didn't notice until my machine fell over due to full disks. You can either turn off binary logging (it's off by default on 5.7), or use a shorter expiry time - I changed it from the default 30 days to 2 days expiry, since I do full nightly backups of the whole server.

It's not really a big deal - just have to learn about how the settings have changed for v8 - this is a major upgrade so there's always going to be a few things to learn.

Build a test machine running MySQL8 and set up a test copy of your website on it - see what happens.

Binary logging is the only real gotcha - since I didn't notice until my machine fell over due to full disks. You can either turn off binary logging (it's off by default on 5.7), or use a shorter expiry time - I changed it from the default 30 days to 2 days expiry, since I do full nightly backups of the whole server.
I'm just not all that knowledgeable when it comes to administering a server. I'm simply a guy with websites that outgrew shared hosting and don't have enough time to learn something new like this. I depend on dedicated server hosting companies to handle most of the management of my server.

Thanks for the tip.

The "Block Nested Loop" join type can cause all sort of "fun" performance, and while I'm sure it is useful somewhere, it doesn't appear to work well with XenForo 2.x

Sometimes brain is off at late night; webmin tells me there are new files, let's install them. Now I have mysql8 on my wsl2 and nothing seems to run anymore.

Top Bottom