1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this mean that xenforo.com has served up 1.75 million "What's New?"s ?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Digital Doctor, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I see this in the URL here right now after I have clicked What's New?
    aka 1,750,127
    When I hammer What's New? ... i see that the number goes up by one each time.

Q: Does this mean that xenforo.com has served up 1.75 million "What's New?"s ?
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes it does :)
  4. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Hm, no it doesn't.

AFAIK that's the searchid which also gets incremented by the normal search :p => 1,75 mil searches (including normal search + what's new)
    alexD likes this.
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yeah, it means there are that many searches done.
  6. Lost

Lost Well-Known Member

7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Most of them must be What's New? searches.
  8. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

We're at 1,751,438
  9. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

I presume the unique URL is designed to help prevent the page from being cached?

Hopefully the numbers are being stored as an unsigned BIGINT. :D
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

More like the system saves some backend data related to each query so it doesn't have to repeat it when you go to another page of the same results.
    Mikey, Markos and Mike like this.
  11. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Does a new searchid mean a page view or are there cases where a new page view wouldn't necessarily be generated? The reason I ask is because my searchid number is higher than what Google Analytics is showing my total (site wide) pageviews to be. :confused:
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Well, one thing would be spiders hitting things like your "What's New" link. Spiders aren't going to report to Google Analytics since they (typically) don't execute JavaScript. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to block robot access to that via robots.txt
    DBA likes this.