Does this CPU usage and load mean I should upgrade?

HJW

My CPU is peaking near 66% and load average of 4 for my 8gb 4 shared cpu plan.

Does this look like I should upgrade it ASAP? I haven't noticed any slowdowns at peak times

I don't know what is the best match for the CentOS 7.5 x64 build for my site that's just xenforo;
  • 6 shared CPU and 16gb ram
  • 8 dedicated cpu 16gb
  • 8 dedicated cpu 32gb

1573643049207.webp

Personally I would not look to upgrade your plan. The CPU is not maxed out or even extended for long periods of time. The other metrics ( load/memory / disk ) give no concern either.

For what its worth I can recommend centminmod for Centos!

Reactions: HJW
Looks alright to me too. Memory is probably taking into account cached on that usage chart so your real usage is probably closer to 40%.

Dedicated CPU resources should always beat out shared and there will be fewer issues from noisy neighbors (or in the case of a dedicated server, no issue from noisy neighbors).

PS - get to CentOS 7.7 ;)

Personally I would not look to upgrade your plan. The CPU is not maxed out or even extended for long periods of time. The other metrics ( load/memory / disk ) give no concern either.

For what its worth I can recommend centminmod for Centos!
Ah thank you that is good to know, so I should only worry if the load stays above 4 and CPU near 100 for a sustained time? I'm pretty sure I'm already on centminmod - it was recommended here and someone also recommended here did the migration :)
PS - get to CentOS 7.7 ;)
Oh really, is there anything that's a big improvement with that?

You take the load value from top and divide it by the number of cores the VPS has access to. So if you have a load of 4.0 and your VPS was provisioned with 4 vCores, then you have a load value of 1.0 which is 100%. This means you'll have processes waiting around for CPU time although I think it would be more likely you'd experience CPU steal time from bad neighbors taking CPU cycles away from you as most hosts are over provisioned to maximize return.

But assuming you don't have any bad neighbors then depending on the size of your site the next thing I'd suggest you look at would be attacks on your login pages. There isn't any logs for such a thing by default but bots have been pounding my login pages pretty regularly and I wasn't aware of this until I installed Dragonbyte Security. A web application firewall from someone like Cloudflare would do wonders in these cases not only now but in the future as your site continues to grow.

Lastly, if you notice during your peak times your site is regularly slowing down despite everything else then sure feel free to upgrade. The problem I've found, is that many people run inefficient software, do not secure their webserver properly and generally speaking are not very good system administrators. This leads to upgrading things like memory, storage, etc only for them to be filled up or used again. The end result is the hackers are able to perform more brute force attempts per hour and consequently your logs which are recording this behavior can get even bigger before you run out of disk.

If you have those regular spikes, it would be helpful to know what time of day that is. Also, check to ensure you aren't running a bunch of crons at that moment. Do things like backups, email campaigns and daily cleanup crons during those low activity times.

Top Bottom